Camelot site set for new housing plans

editorial image

Revised redevelopment plans for the former Camelot theme park site are to be submitted.

Homebuilder Story Homes announced yesterday, Tuesday, it will not appeal Chorley Council’s decision to refuse it permission to build up to 420 homes last year.

Instead, the Carlisle-based firm says it will continue to work with the public and the council in the hope a better scheme can be drawn up.

John Jackson, planning manager for Story Homes, said: “We recognise that residents have ideas and opinions about this site and we look forward to working closely with neighbours, residents, Chorley Borough Council and Lancashire County Council to shape the plans.”

Following public consultation in 2014, Story Homes originally proposed to redevelop the brownfield land at Charnock Richard to create a ‘green’ village with landscaping and access for the public, along with 20 acres of public open space in the form of play spaces, new footpath connections, biodiversity areas and accessible landscaping.

A package of transport measures was proposed to promote site accessibility, including a new bus service and a range of pedestrian and cycle improvements to help connect with the surrounding area.

Story Homes says the next engagement process will begin this Spring, with local residents and other interested members of the public encouraged to get involved.

Ward councillor Alan Whittaker said the reasons for refusal were “extremely sound”, adding: “To think about plonking 1,000 people in the middle of nowhere with no services was bizarre.”

He said he was pleased there would be no appeal, but added: “There will certainly be some apprehension about what’s to come next.

“There will something going on there, but that’s open for discussion.”