Care home under investigation over ‘on-going’ concerns

editorial image
0
Have your say

A Chorley care home has been closed to new admissions after an investigation was launched over ‘on-going concerns’ at the facility.

Relatives with family at Euxton Park Care Home, which neighbours Euxton Hall Private Hospital, were informed about the decision in a letter from Lancashire County Council.

In a copy seen by the Guardian, the letter dated May 23 says that a ‘thorough investigation’ is being conducted by Adult Social Care, the Quality Commission and the Primary Care Trust.

The Guardian can also reveal that it is only months since similar action was taken after an elderly resident choked to death on a fish and chip supper there.

The 75-year-old woman had been given the food by a nurse who hadn’t been aware that she was on a strict puree-only diet and she was rushed to hospital after she started to choke.

In a statement, owners Four Seasons Health Care said: “We are actively co-operating with Lancashire County Council in an investigation relating to the failure by an agency nurse to notify us of her conditions of registration.

“These relate to duties that nurses perform and their supervision.

“It is the responsibility of nurses to inform their agency employer and homes to which they are assigned about such conditions.

“The home is closed to new admissions while this investigation is ongoing.”

For the full story, see this week’s Chorley Guardian.