Chorley urgent care centre faces privatisation following A&E closure

Chorley Hospital
Chorley Hospital

The urgent care centre at Chorley’s hospital - which replaced the currently closed Accident and Emergency department - now faces possible privatisation.

Chorley and South Ribble Hospital ‘s A&E was temporarily shut down in April because of staff shortages.

Chorley Hospital A&E protest

Chorley Hospital A&E protest

Bosses at Lancashire Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust initially said they were aiming to reopen the department it in August, but last week they admitted that it would not reopen this summer, and were unable to say when – or if – it would reopen.

Now we can reveal that the integrated urgent care service – which includes units at both Chorley and Preston hospitals – faces possible privatisation, after a bidding process was set up and completed.

An as-yet unnamed preferred bidder has been selected after the process was discussed behind closed doors with no access allowed for either the media or the public.

Jan Ledward, chief officer of Chorley and South Ribble CCG and Greater Preston CCG, said: “The procurement of an integrated urgent care service has followed a robust process in line with national guidelines.

“This process has identified a preferred bidder, and this decision is being approved by the CCGs’ governing bodies this week, after which the bidders will be informed during the week commencing August 1.

“There will then be a minimum 10-day standstill period to allow the bidders to review the process, before a public announcement is made.

“The integrated urgent care service will ensure that patients receive the most appropriate treatment for their need, and will help free up A&E services for those who really need them.

“Based at the Chorley Hospital and Royal Preston Hospital sites, the service will deliver GP-led urgent care and will operate 24 hours a day, seven days a week. It will be vital in freeing up the accident and emergency departments for those who really need them.”

The move to open the running of the urgent care centre to private firms has been criticised by campaigners and leading community figures.

Chorley MP Lindsay Hoyle said: “I believe that the NHS should be delivered by NHS staff. If we have got something that works well, and services the people well, why change it?”

The trust confirmed that there would be a meeting between the CCG and other hospital partners to discuss the future of the A&E and urgent care services later this week.

A spokesman said it was one of their regular weekly meetings, which have been taking place since the closure in April.

Steve Turner, organiser of the Protect Chorley Hospital from Cuts and Privatisation campaign, was furious the CCG had undergone a bidding process, said: “We are absolutely disgusted at the thought of the urgent care centre being privatised because these are our services.