Controversial plans return to build houses on former Camelot site

Chorley councillor Alan Whittaker is protesting against plans for 275 homes to be built on the site of former amusement park Camelot.
Councillor Whittaker at the site (security stopped us from getting any closer).  PIC BY ROB LOCK
15-7-2016
Chorley councillor Alan Whittaker is protesting against plans for 275 homes to be built on the site of former amusement park Camelot. Councillor Whittaker at the site (security stopped us from getting any closer). PIC BY ROB LOCK 15-7-2016

Controversial plans to build homes on a former theme park have returned.

Story Homes has downscaled its plans to build 420 houses on the former Camelot site in Charnock Richard – which were rejected in 2014 because the site was too big.

Developers are now set to hold a consultation on plans to build up to 275 homes on the site, off Park Hall Road, to ‘regenerate’ and ‘redevelop’ it.

The plans have been slammed by Councillor Alan Whittaker.

Coun Whittaker said: “These plans are totally unneccessary and unneeded. They will change the character of this community – the infrastructure will not be able to cope.”

He is also calling to be given an exact number of houses, saying ‘up to 275’ is not acceptable.

“We have to wait and see exactly how many houses there are going to be - but they will have to work hard to convince these communities that this won’t be a huge disaster.”

But David O’Reilly, head of land and planning, said Story Homes had been working hard to create a smaller scheme that responded to community comments from the last application.

He said: “We have committed to not going higher than 275 homes across the site and we are now looking for feedback from residents to help with our ongoing design work. This is a major scheme for our new team here in Chorley and we are determined to work closely with the community to ensure the plans are the best they can be for the local area.

“The former Camelot theme park is in desperate need of regeneration.”

Story Homes’ original planning application for 420 houses was rejected by Chorley Council in the winter of 2014.

The developers decided not to appeal against the decision and say they instead chose to ‘work closely with councillors and the community to develop revised proposals’.

The new plans are for up to 275 homes and improved walking and cycling paths, open green space, and opportunities for community facilities.

Drop-in public consultations are being held at the Charnock Richard Football Club on July 21 and the Heskin Village Hall on July 23.

Visit: www.storyhomescamelot.com/index.html.

What do you think to the plans? Let us know by emailing danielle.hayden@jpress.co.uk with your thoughts.