Green village for former Camelot site

Camelot site
Camelot site
2
Have your say

Plans for a new 450-home ‘green’ village at the former Camelot theme park site have been unveiled.

Developer Story Homes said the 47-hectare Charnock Richard site would get a new village centre with facilities and services.

There would also be enhanced public transport links, footpaths, cycle routes, fitness trails, allotments and woodland and wildlife areas.

The plans for Park Hall Village were shown at a pubic consultation at Park Hall Hotel on Wednesday.

Carlisle-based Story Homes added that the village would be a sustainable development with facilities such as cycle storage “to help encourage the ethos in the home owners”. It said properties would run on 15 per cent renewable energy.

Story Homes plans to build around 450, two to five-bedroomed homes, aimed at family living. It said it also plans to maintain and enhance the surroundings, and that the new houses will be in keeping with the traditional architectural style of the area, built using local materials. It said its proposals make the best use of the site.

Camelot theme park closed in November due to falling visitor numbers. Story Homes said the land is no longer suitable as a leisure or tourism development because of the lack of investment opportunities and competition from other attractions and that there is no realistic prospect of new investment.

A spokesman for the developer said: “Around 175 people attended the public consultation on Wednesday to discuss our proposals for the development.

“Most of the attendees were supportive of the principal of redeveloping a brownfield site for residential use.

“Some issues around transport, drainage and associated infrastructure were identified and we will be addressing these further through discussion with the relevant authorities and as part of our planning

application.”

The site has not been included in Chorley Council’s Local Development Framework for housing needs.

Eccleston resident Chris Weetman, a planning consultant, who may act on behalf of residents, said: “It is for the developers to demonstrate why the council should go against its own development plans to approve 450 houses. If it does get in, there’s still a lot of questions to be asked about it.

“As far as I can see, there are a lack of facilities proposed for this development.”

Ward councillor Paul Leadbetter said: “There’s obviously going to be concerns relating to the sustainability of the scheme because of the road access - Park Hall Road is unclassified.”

He also said there would be concerns about drainage, extra school places and a general lack of amenities. He added that residents had asked why these plans should be passed when they had had their plans for home improvements rejected.

He added: “This was previously development land in the greenbelt for leisure not residential. I guess that’s the sort of discussion that needs to go on.”