DCSIMG

Delight at no vote for homes on Camelot site

The former Camelot theme park at Park Hall, Charnock Richard

The former Camelot theme park at Park Hall, Charnock Richard

­The decision to throw out a controversial plan to build houses on a theme park site has been greeted with delight.

Councillors met at the development control committee meeting last week to discuss the Story Homes application to build 420 houses on the former Camelot site.

Watched by a crowd of more than 150, which was largely made up of protestors against the application, councillors voted unanimously to reject the plans on the basis the site was too big.

The application had gone into the meeting without a recommendation from officers. Coun Harold Heaton, who is the spokesman for Charnock Richard Parish Council on planning issues, said: I’m pleased for all the residents and I’m happy members refused it, I just hope the grounds are strong enough for the refusal.

“It’s the first major application that I have been involved with representing the parish council that was put forward without a recommendation, it was a funny meeting and I do think the decision could be appealed.”

The planning application was criticised throughout its submission.

Chris Weetman, Independent Planning Consultant, said: “It was a disappointing scheme in an unsustainable location in the green belt.

“The scale of the development would adversely affect the openness of the countryside yet provided no real benefits to the local community. “

Protests were launched against the application.

Ward councillor Alan Whittaker said: “I’m pleased the application was rejected, what was more gratifying was that more than 100 people turned up at the meeting to show their support.

“The application was premature and uncalled for, I’m surprised it took so long to sortt out, there is no need to develop and it was the wrong application at the wrong time.”

Firefighters spent more than four hours tackling a blaze at the Camelot site on Sunday night.

Crews had to pump water from the lake of a nearby hotel to stop the fire spreading to adjacent buildings.

Firefighters are yet to discover what caused the fire which damaged a the former staff canteen and offices.

This was the second incident at the site in just over two weeks. In the first incident a derelict petrol and oil storage unit was badly damaged in what was believed to be a deliberate attack.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page