DCSIMG

Woman badly burned by garden fire

POLICE

POLICE

A woman is in hospital with severe burns after her clothing caught fire when petrol was poured onto a garden chiminea.

The incident, late on Saturday, was the second in the space of 24 hours in Chorley - a man suffered burns to his hands in an almost identical accident on Friday night.

“We can’t stress enough how dangerous it is to pour petrol on things like chimineas, barbecues and bonfires,” said a fire officer in the town.

Police say the injured woman was standing near to a chiminea in the garden of a house in Duke Street when an accelerant was poured on causing a flashback.

Despite desperate attempts to smother the flames she suffered “full body” burns and was said to be seriously ill in hospital.

“It appears an accelerant was poured onto the chiminea and the lady was standing close by when it went up,” said a police spokesman.

“We are satisfied this was a very unfortunate accident.”

On Friday night a man was taken to hospital from the garden of a house in Balshaw Lane after he poured petrol from a plastic can onto a chiminea. He was treated for burns to both hands.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page