Pork chop nearly killed me

Darren Ashall, from Chorley, was in hospital for five months after eating an under-cooked pork chop
Darren Ashall, from Chorley, was in hospital for five months after eating an under-cooked pork chop
0
Have your say

A Chorley dad has spoken about how he nearly died after eating an under-cooked pork chop.

Darren Ashall, 46, of Eaves Green Road, has been in hospital since February after he contracted the bug listeria meningitis, which caused an abscess to grow in his brain and left him paralysed.

He is now having to learn how to walk and talk again, and has spoken from his bedside at Royal Preston Hospital to warn other people of the dangers of not cooking food properly.

The dad-of-three and grandad-of-two said: “I was in intensive care and I was too scared to close my eyes, because I didn’t think I’d ever wake up again.

“I was surrounded by my children and my wife Paula, and they all just looked terrified. We found it hard to talk about my condition without crying, and we often thought it would be the last time we saw each other.”

- For the full story, see this week’s Chorley Guardian.