A swan has been savaged to death by a dog.
The incident happened on Thursday at a lodge behind Froom Street, Chorley.
A male swan suffered several injuries including one bite mark which penetrated the top of the skull.
The incident was reported to the RSPCA.
The male swan had become stuck in the fence when it was found.
Hillcrest Animal Hospital confirmed the injuries were from a dog.
Swans have been popular on the lodge and it is believed they have been there for 10 years.
Andy Kench, animal welfare officer for the RSPCA, said: “The incident was reported to us and the swan was dead upon our arrival.
“I really don’t understand why somebody didn’t phone us about the incident.
“It was only thanks to a walker that we found the swan.”
Coun Terry Brown, borough ward councillor for Chorley East, said: “I’m really shocked about the incident as the swans have been a feature on the lodge for a number of years.
“Swans have been bred successfully for a number of years.
“Previous incidents have happened at other places in Chorley but I’ve never heard anything happen here.”Oliver S