Town blaze cause revealed

Amalfi site on Cleveland Street
Amalfi site on Cleveland Street
0
Have your say

A blaze in Chorley which razed two businesses started in a timber storage yard, investigators have said.

The fire, which has completely destroyed the Amalfi restaurant and nearby Cash Converters, is likely to have started as a result of a fault on an electrical appliance or as a result of a halogen light being left on.

Demolition crews are still clearing the wreckage on Cleveland Street after the fire in the early hours of Thursday morning and it is understood 24-hour security has been put in place to stop looters targeting the pawnbrokers.

Road closures on Cleveland Street and High Street will be lifted on Thursday to open the roads up to traffic over the Easter weekend. The roads will then be closed for another three days next week.

A spokesperson for Lancashire Fire and Rescue Service said: “The investigation suggests that the fire originated in an external timber storage space at the back of the restaurant.

“The cause of the fire looks like it could be the result of an electrical appliance fault or as a result of a halogen light having been left on. “This would mean the fire was accidental.”

See this week’s Chorley Guardian for full coverage of the fire

Have you been affected? Email charlotte.wareing@lep.co.uk