Grounds for concern as league game is called off

Gaurav Dhar for Chorley
Gaurav Dhar for Chorley

Chorley Cricket Club player-coach Gaurav Dhar has described yesterday as an “embarrassing” time for Lancaster Cricket Club.

The Lune Road outfit failed to fulfil a second team fixture at Chorley and also had to call off their first-team game against the Windsor park men at the last minute due to the poor state of the pitch.

Officials at Lancaster notified second-team skipper Alex Howarth early yesterday that their second team would not be able to play.

Meanwhile, Andy Holdsworth’s first XI travelled to Lune Road only to find long grass and a wicket described as “worse than a school pitch”.

Dhar said: “We turn up at the ground expecting to play but the wicket has had no preparation and it has only just been rolled.

“The wicket had dents in it and it was worse than a school pitch.

“You could actually pick up blades of grass and it was far too long.”

Chorley were looking to build on Saturday’s emphatic victory over Blackpool.

But the postponement means they must now wait until Saturday to play when they take on St Annes.

Dhar said he was bitterly disappointed not to play and feels it is an embarrassing time for Lancaster.

He said: “I don’t think it is an embarrassing time for league as they can’t do anything about it.

“But for me it’s an embarrassing time for Lancaster – they used to be a great club but now they are struggling.”

Dhar felt that had enough thought been given, the two clubs could have ensured the match went ahead.

He added: “The game could have been reversed if they had given enough notice.

“If they had let us know in enough time that the second team couldn’t play, then we could have played our game at Windsor Park.

“But it was all too late so we couldn’t change it.”

Tony Dawber, a committee member at Chorley Cricket Club, said: “It’s a worrying time for the league and Lancaster Cricket Club.

“For a side that dominated the cricket scene in the 1970s, they are now unable to field a side.

“I feel sorry for the players but also the Chorley fans too.

“People had made their way up in cars and trains only to find out it had been

cancelled.

It hasn’t been decided whether Chorley will be credited maximum points yet, but the second team has been awarded their full 15 points.