Big names revealed for Market Walk in Chorley
Two national retailers are coming to Chorley to join the cinema in the town's Market Walk shopping centre.
Today the Guardian can exclusively reveal that Marks & Spencer Foodhall and fashion retailer TK Maxx are set to join Reel Cinema in the extension to Market Walk shopping centre, which is owned and managed by Chorley Council.
Alongside the cinema, the two retailers will take up over 75 per cent of the extension’s floor space giving shoppers even more choice in the town. Discussions are ongoing with other retailers and food and beverage outlets to fill the remaining 25 per cent with further announcements expected in the coming months.
Gary Hall, chief executive of Chorley Council, said: “This is a really exciting time for the Chorley borough and to have two leading national retailers coming to the town shows that people are seeing Chorley as a place they want to invest in.
“Both M&S Foodhall and TK Maxx offer customers great quality products and will add to and complement the fantastic independent and national retailers that are already here.
“We are still in discussions about the exact layout of the new stores but it has taken a huge amount of work to get to this stage.
“We are delivering what residents and visitors have told us they want to see so we can attract even more visitors into Chorley and boost the local economy.”
Rob Morray, Head of Property Planning at M&S said: “We’re excited to be bringing an M&S Foodhall to customers in Chorley. The store will offer the very best of M&S’s quality food and drink, as well a café. The Collect in Store service will mean customers who purchase Clothing and Home from M&S.com can collect their products in store the very next day. We look forward to sharing more details about the store nearer to the time of opening.”
The extension to Market Walk shopping centre will see seven new units created including the three taken up by M&S, TK Maxx and Reel Cinema.
Councillor Alistair Bradley, the leader of Chorley Council said: “People have said they want to see some big national retailers in Chorley alongside the fantastic independent businesses we already have, so I am delighted that an M&S Foodhall and TK Maxx will be the flagship retailers in the Market Walk extension. Together with Reel Cinema they will take up over 75 per cent of the floor space in the new extension and their offer will create even more choice in the town centre for shoppers.
“Preparation work has already started for the extension and the actual construction work is on schedule to start in the summer with the aim of it being completed and open in late 2018. I appreciate there are a lot of changes taking place but it is an exciting time for Chorley and we are in discussions with other retailers and leisure providers to fill the remaining smaller units as soon as possible.”
Chorley Council bought the Market Walk shopping centre in 2013 and planning permission was granted for the extension last year.
Initial ground preparation work for the extension to Market Walk has already started on the Flat Iron to ensure everything is in place for construction to begin later this year. It is anticipated that the new stores and extension to Market Walk shopping centre will be completed by late 2018.