Chorley woman's warning after her glass patio tables explodes in the blistering summer heat

Christine Egerton-Smith's glass garden table exploding in the blistering summer heat (Photos: Neil Cross).
Christine Egerton-Smith's glass garden table exploding in the blistering summer heat (Photos: Neil Cross).
Share this article

A Lancashire woman is warning people to be on guard after her glass-top garden table exploded into thousands of tiny pieces in the blistering summer sunshine.

Christine Egerton-Smith was at home in The Wold in Heapey, Chorley, when the table spontaneously shattered in the heat sending the umbrella flying across the garden.

The shattered glass.

The shattered glass.

It comes after similar reports from around the country during the recent heatwave.

“I was inside watching Coronation Street and I heard this loud smash and my dog barking,” the 65-year-old explained.

“So I went to the garden and saw the table had exploded into lots of little pieces.

“The force of it lifted the umbrella from being in the middle of the table onto the lawn."

Christine is now warning the public to be vigilant around their glass tables.

Christine is now warning the public to be vigilant around their glass tables.

Christine’s table was bought from China when she lived in Dubai in 2015. And while she doesn’t know for certain what happened, she believes the scorching sun might be the cause.

And with the current heat wave showing no signs of going anywhere, Christine is warning residents to remain vigilant especially if they have small children.

“I would dread to think a family could be sat around their table and the same happened to theirs,” she said.

“I have a duty of care to warn people. I would have been very badly injured if I was at mine. It would have shredded my skin, if not killed me.”

Last year Argos and Asda apologised to customers after similar models of glass-topped patio tables exploded in the heat.

Last year Argos and Asda apologised to customers after similar models of glass-topped patio tables exploded in the heat.

Last July, Mo and Steph Johnson, from Bradley Fold near Bolton, returned from a holiday in Spain to find their glass dining room table had exploded.

The couple believed sunlight had reflected off a mirror onto the table and potentially caused the explosion.

Last year Argos and Asda apologised to customers after similar models of glass-topped patio tables exploded in the heat.