Cigarette warning after fire

Latest news from
Latest news from

A fire chief has warned people about discarding cigarette ends on Lancashire moors after another fire.

Crew manager Patrick Barlow, of Chorley fire station, said the problem was the cause of a large number of blazes on moorland in the county particularly during dry spells.

It is believed a blaze on moorland near Heapey which started around 6pm on Saturday was caused by a lit cigarette.

Crew manager Barlow said: “I would urge people to ensure all smoking materials are properly extinguished in these areas, or that people do not use them at all.

“Carelessly discarded cigarettes are the cause of a lot of problems for the fire service, including on the moors.”

Firefighters wwere tackling the weekend’s fire which damaged a 100m sq patch of land until around 9pm on Saturday.