A 65-year-old man who stabbed his ex-wife to death has been jailed for six years.
Ernest Davenport killed Susan Davenport after getting into a rage when she claimed one of their children was not his.
He was cleared of murdering Mrs Davenport, who lived in Chorley, after a trial. He had already admitted manslaughter on the grounds of loss of control.
Liverpool Crown Court heard that the victim had called at the former matrimonial home in Rectory Lane, Bury, where he still lived, on April 14 to sign conveyancing papers as the house was being sold.
Sentencing Davenport, who wept as he was jailed, Judge Alan Conrad, QC, said that during a quarrel he had stabbed her twice in the chest with a knife he had got from the kitchen.
“One of the blows had penetrated 12cms and severed two major arteries.
“Realising what you had done you took a number of co-codamol tablets and went upstairs and injured yourself with a knife, leaving her body downstairs while you lost consciousness as a result of the tablets.”
He said that the 64-year-old victim was much loved by her family and others including her partner Chris Brennais - who she had left Davenport for four years earlier - and he had read a moving personal statement from him.
“She had a great deal to live for and you killed her – on your own admission intending to do so – because of things that she was saying to you at the time,” said the judge.
Gordon Cole, QC, defending, said, “All his family stick by him and not just the ones who are in court today. They want him home and they want him as quick as possible.”