Dad dies in farm lorry tragedy

Paul Davidson from Chorley who died when he was run over by an HGV at work
Paul Davidson from Chorley who died when he was run over by an HGV at work
Share this article

A Chorley dad-of-two died after being run over by a HGV at a dairy farm.

Paul Davidson, 33, of Windsor Avenue, Adlington, was taken to hospital on Friday after suffering devastating head injuries during the incident at J & B Woodcock and Sons in Coppull, Chorley.

But paramedics were unable to save him and he died en-route.

His heartbroken fiance Sarah Hall, 35, who has been with Paul for 14 years, told the Guardian they had been planning to marry later this year.

She said: “We were best friends and he was so popular. When you met Paul, you met a friend for life.”

The Health and Safety Executive have confirmed they are investigating the incident at Yew Tree Farm, where it is understood Paul was hit by a HGV unit with tractor and trailer.

Paul, who was father to Shannon, 16, and Reece, 12, had worked at the company as a driver since June last year.

Sarah said: “I got a phone call from his work on Friday saying he had been in an accident and I should go to the hospital. Because he was a right clumsy oaf I took his coat and a few bits and I thought he had only twisted his ankle or something and would be waiting for me.

“I sent him a message saying ‘I’m on my way, babe’.

“I was later told he had died in the ambulance on the way to Royal Preston Hospital. He didn’t get the message.

“The last one he read from me said ‘I hate Fridays. I wish you were here with me’

“We were always texting silly little messages with love hearts and kisses. I still message him every day.”

Paul was known to his family and friends as Jock because of his upbringing in Glasgow and was also a talented singer and guitar player.

He moved to Chorley when he was 19 where he met Sarah, who was working behind the bar at The Railway in Adlington.

She said: “We hit it off straight away. It really was love at first sight.

“People call it a whirlwind romance and we knew it was right from the start.

“Within weeks we were engaged and before I knew it I was pregnant with Reece. We always planned to get married but other things just came up.

“We finally decided that because we had been together for so long we would just go to Gretna Green in June and throw a big party afterwards.”

Sarah says Paul was a doting dad who did everything he could to provide for his family.

She said: “Family time was so important to us and we would always sit down for a meal together. We were quite old fashioned in that way.

“He was so proud of his kids and they had such a good relationship.

“Everything he did, it was for us.

“He woke up for me and the kids, he went to work for us, and he came home for us.

“He was always putting other people first.”

Paul was well known in the town and popular among his many friends.

Sarah said: “I always said Paul could go to the shop and come back with ten new friends.

“He loved his job and loved working there. He had so many friends and they are all devastated. Everyone is rallying around to get through this as best we can.”

His friends Sarah Taylor and Andy Entwistle said: “We can’t find a bad word to say about Jock.

“His only fault was he couldn’t light a fire without smoking us all out. Now there will be a fire burning for him in our hearts. He is loved and missed.”

A spokesperson for J & B Woodcock and Sons said: “We can confirm that a tragic accident has occurred resulting in the sad loss of one of our employees.

“Paul was a well respected and popular member of staff and our thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends at this sad time.”