Family face anxious wait

Corey Ashcroft, who is awaiting the results of vital scans
Corey Ashcroft, who is awaiting the results of vital scans
Share this article

The family of battling youngster Corey Ashcroft are facing the most anxious wait of their lives as they prepare for crucial scan results which will reveal if he has beaten his aggressive cancer.

Corey, three, of Eccleston, Chorley, was diagnosed with neuroblastoma, a rare childhood cancer, in April last year, and his parents Joanna and Craig launched a £250,000 fund-raising campaign to send him to America for treatment after discovering there was a lower chance of relapse.

Corey’s plight touched the hearts of the community and the fund-raising goal was reached in just a few months.

Together with his parents and five-year-old brother Kian, Corey travelled to America where he spent five months undergoing treatment at the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia.

Since returning home, Corey has been taking his final chemotherapy tablets and having oxygen therapy to help kill off any stray cancer cells.

Now he has completed his treatment, Corey has undergone scans at Royal Manchester Children’s Hospital and his family now face an anxious wait to see if the treatment has been a success.

Dad Craig, 36, said: “Corey has just had his important end of treatment scans. He has had a bone marrow test and an MRI scan and now it is just a case of waiting for the results.

“It is a very difficult time for us now as there is nothing more we can do except wait for the results. You do feel quite powerless.

“Corey has been really enjoying himself since we came home from America and he has been making the most of the recent sunshine.

“He has been spending a lot of time on the trampoline and in the paddling pool in the garden and he has been playing football and riding his bike and scooter.

“We just hope the scan results come back all clear. We are all on tenterhooks and it is an anxious time.”

Corey was first diagnosed with Stage IV neuroblastoma in April last year after his mum Joanna noticed his stomach felt firm.

He had high dose chemotherapy and a cell stem transplant at Royal Manchester Children’s Hospital before going to America.