Garden chiminea accident claims life of teenager

editorial image

A Chorley man has been interviewed by police after the death of a teenager, who was seriously injured in an accident involving a garden chiminea.

Lisa Jones, 19, was badly burned after her clothing caught fire when petrol was poured on to the heater at a house in Duke Street, Chorley.

Police confirmed she died on Wednesday morning, 11 days after the accident.

Lisa, from Llanfairfechan, North Wales, was taken to Royal Preston Hospital before being moved to Wythenshawe Hospital, where she died.

A police spokesman said: “The 19-year-old sadly passed away as a result of her injuries in Wythenshawe Hospital.

“A 19-year-old man from Chorley has been interviewed under caution in relation to this and was released while police continue further inquiries. He has not been arrested.”

However, the incident is believed to have been a “tragic accident”. A file has been passed to the coroner.

It happened late on Saturday, June 21, and police said the woman was standing near to a chiminea in the back garden of a house on Duke Street when someone else poured an accelerant on, causing a

Despite desperate attempts to smother the flames, she suffered 28 per cent burns.

“It appears an accelerant was poured onto the chiminea and the lady was standing close by when it went up”, said a police spokesman at the time. “We’re satisfied this was a very unfortunate accident.”

Fire chiefs issued a warning after the accident, which was the second in 24 hours in Chorley, and urged people enjoying the warm weather to follow safety advice when using barbecues and chimineas.

Lancashire Fire and Rescue fire safety manager for Chorley John Cairns said: “Chimineas on the whole are very safe as they enclose the majority of the flame, however people need to realise that the heat and flames from burning wood can still be dangerous if they are used incorrectly.”