Homeowner seeks mystery driver who flattened his garden wall

Gary Darbyshire had his front wall smashed by an articulated lorry on Washington Lane, Euxton
Gary Darbyshire had his front wall smashed by an articulated lorry on Washington Lane, Euxton
Share this article

Never mind noel – it’s ‘no wall’ for one unhappy Chorley resident this Christmas.

Not-so-festive Gary Derbyshire is trying to get to the bottom of a mystery after he discovered his front garden wall smashed to pieces.

Self-employed businessman Mr Derbyshire, 41, of Washington Hall Lane, Euxton, thinks it was caused by an articulated lorry.

The damage spans more than 20 foot across the garden.

Mr Derbyshire says he has CCTV footage of a lorry in the area just seconds before the wall was demolished. He said: “I was sat in the back doing some work and I knew there was a lorry down the lane.

“It was around 9pm and he tried to manoeuvre out of the street. The next thing my wall was in pieces. A neighbour over the road has given me CCTV images which shows a lorry was also there at the time.”

Mr Derbyshire, who runs family business Town and Country pet/animal feeds, thinks the lorry was from either Royal Mail or Parcel Force.

He reckons the lost lorry driver ended up on Washington Hall Lane after coming off the M6 motorway.

He has made inquiries with the police and a depot on Buckshaw Village where both companies store lorries. He also has evidence from the damaged vehicle which he collected from the road afterwards.

He added: “After I notified the police, they looked into it and said they spoke to a security guard.

“They said there was one particular driver who couldn’t find the depot and rang in six or seven times.

“It could have been him because sat navs will take you down Washington Hall Lane as a short cut.”

Mr Derbyshire is covered by his insurance company, but still faces an ‘excess’ bill of £300.

A spokesman from Parcel Force Worldwide said: “We are investigating the incident.”

A spokesman for Lancashire Police confirmed the incident had been reported to them at 10.45pm on December 10.

He said: “If anybody saw anything or has any information, they can ring us on 101.”