Shock, disgust, disappointment, appalling . . .
Those were some of the words used by both patients and staff about the temporary closure of the A&E Department at Chorley and South Ribble General Hospital.
Fears that it could lead to further cutbacks - and even the permanent closure of the hospital - will not go away.
Patient Grace Redmayne, in her 60s, of Samlesbury, said: “I’m a bit disappointed.
“My family live halfway between here and Preston, the M6 junction 31, so we will go to Preston.
“It’s disappointing for people south of the Ribble - Leyland Chorley area - who have to travel further.
“For me personally, I don’t think it will affect our family as it will others.”
Patient Wendy Barber, 65, of Walton-le-Dale, said: “I would be very very disappointed if it happened.
“I used to work here in the coronary care unit.
“I heard last night (Wednesday). It was a shock, although it had been mooted before.
“I hope it stays open, but I have my doubts.”
Another patient, Gary Heath, 47, of Bolton, said: “Is it temporary, or is it a ruse for permanent?
“I think it’s disgusting.
“I heard about it a couple of days ago on Facebook. I was shocked and disappointed.
“To be honest, I live in Bolton. I’m ten minutes away from Bolton Hospital, but I’ve been referred up here.
“I’ve got family here who use the hospital regularly and they’re absolutely mortified about the closure.”
Patient Phil Clitheroe, 33, of Euxton, said: “It’s just a shame they can’t provide wages for staff, like Manchester and the big hospitals can.
“On Facebook groups they’re all outraged and blaming bosses.”
Patient Nigel Lacy, 63, of Chorley, said: “It’s not good at all.
“We need it round here. It’s too far to go to Preston, or where there are others.
“I was quite shocked. I didn’t know anything about it until last night.
A member of staff, who did not wish to be named, said: “It’s the circumstances. They’re doing everything they can.”
Another, who works for hospital services, but also did not want to be identified, said: “I don’t really know very much, just what I’ve heard. It’s being closed down because they’ve not got the staff, then they were talking of everything going to Preston.
“When Preston have got the not-too-bad patients, they can come here - only to sleep.
“But as somebody pointed out, you can’t do that because they’ve no beds.
“But it’s affecting theatre and other things.”
A staff member, from Euxton, who did not want to be named, said: “I think it’s terrible.
“I know there have been rumours for a while about it closing, but at the end of the day . . . all the money they’ve spent on it.
“People are shocked, too right.
“I know they’re saying it’s about the staffing levels. But Jessica Knight - they say she wouldn’t have made it to Preston. It’s things like that.
“Hopefully, they can overturn it.”