‘Killed crossing a road’

Sadly missed: Irene Salmon died in a collision in Bengal Street
Sadly missed: Irene Salmon died in a collision in Bengal Street
Share this article

It was a route that popular Irene Salmon would had taken a thousand times before.

It was a route that popular Irene Salmon would had taken a thousand times before.

The ‘fun-loving’ 62-year-old crossed the A6 dual carriageway at Bengal Street in Chorley on Wednesday rush hour with a bag of shopping in her hand.

It was the last thing she ever did.

The carer was struck by a green Peugeot 106 on the stretch close to Hillcrest Animal Hospital.

Paramedics raced to the scene and transferred her to Chorley hospital, but she was pronounced dead a short time later.

The 20-year-old driver of the car has been quizzed on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving.

Eyewitnesses say he was visibly shocked by what had happened while his hysterical female passenger was left covered in blood after suffering a broken nose and facial injuries.

Both were taken to hospital but were later discharged.

A row of flowers now mark the spot of the tragedy, which has sent a shockwave through the close-knit community.

A statement from her family, including her sister Audrey, brother Frank and many nieces and nephews, said: “Irene was young at heart.

“She lived life to the full, was caring and was always the life and soul of any party.

“She loved her family and friends and loved jetting off abroad.”

Neighbours of the victim, who is believed to have lived on her own in Northgate Drive, said she had worked as a carer after retiring from her full-time job when she was 60.

They described her as ‘lovely’ and said she was always smiling and looking forward to her next holiday.

Tribute after tribute has been placed at the spot where she died and a crash barrier that was crushed in the collision has now been removed.

A poignant card from her sister Audrey read: “In loving memory of a very special sister who was taken from us too soon.

“You weren’t only my sister, but my best friend too.

“Will love you always and miss you always.”

A second read: “To Auntie Irene, you will be greatly missed. I hope grandma is teaching you to use your wings.”

A third said: “Irene, your smile will be sadly missed. So sorry to hear you have had to leave so suddenly.”

A poem had also been tied to the metal railings alongside the bunches of flowers and single red roses.

One verse read: “I close my eyes as I wipe a tear,

“I just keep wishing this pain would disappear,

“I didn’t get the chance to say my last goodbye - I just didn’t think you could ever die.”

The main road through Chorley town centre was closed off by police tape shortly after the collision at 5.05pm on Wednesday.

Officers diverted traffic, but there was tailbacks in Park Road, Harpers Lane and Stump Lane.

Crime scene investigators remained at the scene well into the night.

The 20-year-old driver is now on police bail until June 1 to allow officers to investigate what led to the tragedy.

Sgt Dave Hogarth from Lancashire Police said: “A full investigation into the cause of the collision is now underway.

“I would appeal to anybody who may have witnessed it to contact police.”

Anyone with information is asked to ring Chorley Police on: 0845 1 25 35 45 or Crimestoppers anonymously on: 0845 555 111.

Irene’s funeral is set to be held at St Peter’s CE Church followed by interment at Chorley Cemetery, but a time and date have yet to be confirmed.

Kenyons Funeral Directors, in Eaves Lane, are arranging Irene’s funeral. For more information ring: 01257 276104.

Send your tributes to Irene by emailing: natalie.banks@lep.co.uk