Kitchen safety warning from fire service

editorial image
Share this article

Fire chiefs are urging residents in Chorley to remain vigilant when it comes to fire safety in the kitchen.

And they are emphasising the importance of having a working home smoke alarm and escape plan.

The message follows incidents involving fire crews from Chorley, South Ribble and West Lancs.

In one, at around teatime, on Saturday, February, there was a close call after cooking oil caught light.

Thankfully, the occupants were alerted to the fire by their smoke alarm sounding and were able to get out safely and call for help.

The female resident had previously taken up the offer of Lancashire Fire and Rescue’s free home fire safety check, where a free smoke alarm was fitted and fire safety advice given.

The female got out safely and called the fire service.

Dave Williams, fire officer in charge, said; “Thankfully, the lady was alerted to the fire early on due to the smoke alarm sounding, and so we were able to get in and extinguish the fire before it caused too much damage.”

John Cairns, fire safety manager for the area, said; As a fire service, we really want to raise awareness with the public and highlight how easily fire can occur when cooking is left unattended, and to remind them, that wherever possible they should remember to turn off the heat if they get called away from the kitchen.”

To arrange a free home fire safety check contact the fire service on 0800 1691125 or visit