Men jailed for Chorley kidnap

Police were called to the scene
Police were called to the scene

Three men have been jailed for a ‘heinous’ kidnap in broad daylight in Chorley.

Damien Noonan, 25, and Forbes Edwards, 23, of no fixed abode, together with Dwayne Devaney, 23, of Cotter Street, Manchester, were jailed for a total of 19 years after kidnapping 29-year-old Stephen Barton.

The offence took place around 6.20pm on Friday, October 21 2011 when police received reports that a man had been assaulted, bundled into a Nissan Qashqui and taken from an address at Triumph Avenue against his will.

Within an hour the man was located in the Whitefield area of Manchester and taken to hospital where he received treatment for his injuries which were consistent with a severe beating.

Det Supt Neil Hunter from Lancashire Police’s Force Major Investigation Team said: “The motive for this heinous offence is still unclear as the defendants elected to maintain their right to silence when questioned.

“But it is important to stress that kidnaps of this nature are extremely rare in fact even rarer than homicide.

“The shocking nature of this offence was that it was committed in broad daylight in full view of young children playing out and on a very nice housing estate in Chorley.

“This was a particularly vicious assault carried out by a ruthless organised crime group and I am pleased that they have been handed jail sentences after pleading guilty when faced with the overwhelming evidence against them.

“The hostage, Steven Barton, was chased over parked vehicles and through gardens until he was eventually caught.

“He was viciously assaulted and dragged screaming into the car where he was stripped naked, bound and gagged and forced into the boot of the vehicle before being driven away from the area.

“This was an excellent of cross border cooperation between Lancashire Constabulary and Greater Manchester Police and I cannot praise them highly enough as when the stolen car was stopped by police the hostage was found naked in the vehicle, still restrained by the ankles and legs, gagged with a broken jaw and other injuries.

“Mr Barton was extremely fortunate as I’ve no doubt that without the police intervention his injures would have been far more serious, if not fatal.”

The three men pleaded guilty to kidnap, false imprisonment, assault and theft of a vehicle.

Damien Noonan, 25, of NFA was sentenced to 6 years and 9 months, Dwayne Devaney, 23, of Cotter Street, Manchester was sentenced to 6 years, and Forbes Edwards, 23 of NFA was sentenced to 6 years and 9 months.