Monster jailed for girlfriend killing

Richard Ciborowski, and below, Debbie Ryan
Richard Ciborowski, and below, Debbie Ryan
Share this article

A monster responsible for a horrifying catalogue of domestic violence against a Chorley mum has been jailed for the brutal attack which finally killed her.

Debbie Ryan, 40, died of head injuries last April – four days after collapsing at the junction of Pall Mall and Tootell Street.

She’d earlier been struck around the head with a bottle of vodka during a violent row with her on-off partner Richard Ciborowski.

On Wednesday, at Preston Crown Court, the 32-year-old was handed an indefinite prison term, after pleading guilty to manslaughter.

He was told he must serve a minimum of four years and 78 days before he can be considered for parole.

The court heard that throughout their 12-month relationship, Ciborowski subjected Debbie to a catalogue of abuse.

This included encouraging his dog to bite her, hitting her in the face, kneeling on her chest, and stabbing her with a pen.

Prosecuting, Louise Blackwell QC said: “Throughout their relationship he had been violent towards her. In the weeks leading up to her death, that escalated.”

The court heard that on January 8, 2010, a neighbour saw Debbie standing at her front door wearing a blood-stained dressing gown.

A report of domestic violence was made, and Debbie said she was been hit twice in the face. Ciborowski was arrested and bailed.

Less than a week later, Ciborowski breached his bail conditions by going to her home, and again punched her in the face. He was charged with common assault and bailed.

On January 31, two months before her death, he again visited her home, and was arrested and remanded in custody. Debbie retracted her statement before the case ever made it to court.

Prosecuting, Ms Blackwell QC said: “Her daughters would regularly see their mother. She told them he had stabbed her with a pen and dragged her around the flat, when she tried to leave.

“Her daughter Danielle heard her mother screaming and found the defendant on top of her mother, and his dog appeared to be biting her.”

In an examination after her death, Debbie was found to have bruises to her eye, fingertip bruises to her arm, swelling on her face, bruises on her chest, a fractured skull, and four broken ribs.

On the day of her death, Debbie had been seen by a friend. She was also been by a policemen, who she knew, who said she was looking well. At 7pm, she was seen on Pall Mall, looking scared and being ‘pursued’ by Ciborowski.

By 9pm, Debbie was once again on Pall Mall, and CCTV images showed her walking hand-in-hand with her abusive partner.

Eight minutes later, she collapsed and Ciborowski was standing over her and shouting. When police arrived, he insisted a bloodstain on his trousers was from a cut on his finger.

Debbie was rushed to hospital where she underwent surgery. Four days later, she died.

For the full story, see this week’s Chorley Guardian