John Howard, member of Friends of Bank Hall, at the historic house
Bank Hall, a Grade II listed private estate in Bretherton, has been vacant and was rotting steadily since 1971, and the Post was invited on a behind-the-scenes tour of the work.
Bank Hall has been standing empty since 1971 Now, thanks to 25 years of campaigning from the Friends of Bank Hall group and a Heritage Lottery Fund grant of 2.2 million the historic Jacobean mansion is being returned to its former glory Listed building consent and planning permission was granted by Chorley Council in July 2013. Stonemason Austin Walker, takes two-weeks to create this decorative stone flower, he will make 14 more for this project along with other items The historic Bank Hall is now being converted in to flats In 1832-33 under the ownership of George Anthony Legh-Keck the house was extensively remodelled by the Kendal based architect, George Webster in an early example of 19th century Jacobean style. Master stonemasons are restoring many of the decorative features The mansion has been left empty since 1971 Public access will be maintained for the central section of the building Members of the public are being invited on 'hard hat tours' of the hall