Refuse wagon catches fire

editorial image

Firefighters were called to put out a blaze in the back of a refuse lorry during its round today.

The alarm was raised when smoke started pouring from the refuse compartment of the wagon in Orchard Drive, Chorley at about 9.20am.

A fire crew used a hose reel jet to extinguish the fire. But the vehicle was then driven back to its depot as a precaution.

The contents of the wagon were emptied in a safe area where any smouldering residue of the fire could be put out.