Schoolboy drowns in Chorley reservoir

Yarrow Valley Park, Chorley
Yarrow Valley Park, Chorley
Share this article

A TEENAGER who drowned after a swim with friends at a Chorley reservoir, is believed to be a Holy Cross High School pupil.

Police and firefighters were called to the expanse of water off Birkacre Brow at Yarrow Valley Park, Chorley, at around 7.40pm on Sunday when the 15-year-old disappeared from sight.

The body of the boy who is believed to live locally, was recovered several hours later by police divers.

Distraught friends of the youngster were at the scene late into the night and were comforted by representatives from his school,

A mum of one of the friend’s of the dead boy said he had been out with his friends and they had all jumped into the water.

She said; “Four of them came back up and he didn’t. Two of the lads jumped in to try and find him and save him but they could not pull him up. By the time the fire brigade and paramedics got there the divers had to go in and they have only just found him.”

She said of the boy, who has not been officially named,: “He was such a character, a joker. Funny and so caring and he was always there for you.”

It is unclear how the youngster, who attended a local high school, got into difficulty.

A Lanncashire Police spokesman said; “We have recovered the body of a young boy.”

Firefighters from Chorley Fire Station were called to the incident with a request made for specialist lighting equipment to be brought to the scene to aid their search.

Big Lodge Water was created on land previously used for bleaching, Calico printing, dyeing and mining at Birkacre.

Last July 13-year-old Dylan Ramsey drowned in a quarry in Whittle-le-Woods.

The year eight Parklands High School pupil had been swimming at Hill Top Quarry when he disappeared under the freezing water.

In June 2008 Dylan Gabriel, 13, of Pinfold Street, Callon, died in the 20ft deep lock at the Lancaster Canal in Cottam, Preston.

Two police officers jumped into the water to try and save the boy and paramedics battled to revive him by the side of the canal once he was hauled out of the water by firefighters, but he died in hospital.

- Do you know the pupil or want to put a tribute in the newspaper? Contact 01257 264911 or email