Teenager dies of burns after garden fire

editorial image
Share this article

A teenager who was seriously injured in an accident involving a garden chiminea has died in hospital.

Lisa Jones, 19, was badly burned after her clothing caught fire when petrol was poured onto the heater at a house in Chorley.

Police confirmed she died yesterday morning, 11 days after the accident.

Lisa, from North Wales, was taken to Royal Preston Hospital before being transferred to Wythenshawe Hospital where she died.

A police spokesman said: “The 19-year-old sadly passed away as a result of her injuries in Wythenshawe Hospital.

“A 19-year-old man from Chorley has been interviewed under caution in relation to this and was released while police continue further inquiries. He has not been arrested.”

However, the incident is believed to have been a “tragic accident”.

It happened late on Saturday, June 21, and police said the woman was standing near to a chiminea in the back garden of a house on Duke Street when someone else poured an accelerant on, causing a flashback.

Despite desperate attempts to smother the flames, she suffered “full body” burns.

“It appears an accelerant was poured onto the chiminea and the lady was standing close by when it went up”, said a police spokesman at the time.

“We are satisfied this was a very unfortunate accident.”

Fire chiefs issued a warning after the accident, which was the second in 24 hours in Chorley, and urged people enjoying the warm weather to follow safety advice when using barbecues and chimineas.