‘The gift of life was the best birthday present’

Stephen Taylor who was in a car accident and here is celebrating 21st birthday. Pic by Jamie Pope
Stephen Taylor who was in a car accident and here is celebrating 21st birthday. Pic by Jamie Pope

The family of a Chorley man who spent three weeks fighting for his life after a horrific car crash have spoken for the first time about his miracle recovery.

Stephen Taylor, 21, suffered serious head injuries when his grey Vauxhall Corsa was in a collision with a Ford Probe outside the Fieldfare pub in Foxhole Road.

The accident took place last November and his family have spoken out about what happened for the first time after Stephen celebrated his 21st birthday - a landmark they feared they’d never see when he was fighting for his life.

Mum Louise Taylor, 42, of Mill Lane, Coppull, said that learning of the accident was every parent’s worst nightmare.

She said: “I was in shock more than anything else because my son’s girlfriend rang us to say Stephen was in hospital after an accident.

“When we arrived we talked to the doctors and they told us that Stephen had suffered serious head injuries and was in a critical condition.

“I could not recognise him because of the cuts on his face and I did not believe it was him.

“It was the worst thing as a mum not knowing if he was going to survive or not.

“It was emotional watching him waking up because we didn’t know what he was going to be like or if he had suffered severe brain damage.”

Stephen, who works at James Donaldson Timber in Brinscall and used to attend Southlands High School, was released from Royal Preston Hospital after three weeks but even now he does not recall anything about the incident.

Louise said: “We were told by the police who attended the scene that he was not wearing his seatbelt.

“It was a life-changing experience and before he goes out I tell him that he has to put his seatbelt on. I would urge everyone to make sure they wear a seatbelt.

“We let all of Stephen’s friends visit him to see how bad he was because most of them drive and we wanted them to drive more carefully.

“I would not wish what we have gone through on anyone.”

The mum-of three hopes her son’s case will raise awareness about the work of staff at Royal Preston Hospital.

She said: “There are not enough words to sum up how I feel about the nurses and staff at the hospital.”