Dog killed in Preston house blaze
A dog has been killed in a blaze involving a fridge freezer at a Preston home, say fire services.
Firefighters attempted to resuscitate the boxer-type dog at the scene of the fire on Blackpool Road in Lanes End, but sadly, their efforts were unsuccessful, a spokesman added.
Crews were told that a dog was in the property during a 999 call reporting the fire at around 3.30pm on Tuesday, March 21.
Watch Manager Jim Stone said: "Two fire engines, from Preston and Fulwood equipped with breathing apparatus used a hose-reel jet to extinguish the fire involving a fridge freezer and a sofa.
"They then extracted the smoke from the property with a portable fan unit.
"We were made aware that a dog was in the property and found a boxer in the dining room where, it seems, the fire started. We tried to resuscitate the dog, but unfortunately, our attempts were unsuccessful.
"We would advise anybody who has concerns about any electrical items in their home to get them checked out by a qualified electrician and please always ensure that you have working smoke alarms fitted."