Tragedy of depressed plumber

Share this article

A depressed plumber from Chorley committed suicide just days after being released from hospital.

David Livesey, 69, had received psychiatric care for suicidal thoughts but, despite concerns voiced by his wife Lynne, had been discharged from Ribbleton Hospital shortly before his death.

Mr Livesey, of Fylde Street, Chorley, was found by two boys who had been walking at Healey Nab on October 28, last year.

He had hung himself in a secluded area of woodland, around half an hour's walk from where he had left his car at Bagganley Lane, and left a 'note' on the inside flap of a satchel saying 'sorry I can't continue anymore'.

Mrs Livesey, also of Fylde Street, told assistant deputy coronor Miss Nicola Mundy, that her husband had worried about his health after having chest pains and breathing difficulties.

He was admitted to Chorley hospital on October 1 where he spent two weeks for medical treatment and was then transferred to Ribbleton for psychiatric assessment after having suicidal thoughts.

He was discharged on October 19 after consultants found 'no evidence' of major mental health problems or risk of self harm.

Mrs Livesey said when she visited him he was always brighter when people were around but was very quiet and withdrawn otherwise.

"I wasn't happy they discharged him," he said.

"I was worried it was too soon. He would be on his own while I was at work and I was frightened he was going to do something. I was told it was normal to feel anxious like that."

Mrs Livesey said that he had suicidal thoughts again after being discharged from hospital and he rang Ribbleton hospital but they could only readmit him through his doctor or A&E but he would not go.

She said that during the week one minute he seemed a bit better, then the next he was down again.

Dr John Knapp, consultant psychiatrist who was involved in Mr Livesey's assessment at Ribbleton Hospital told the inquest there was no evidence of mental disorder or depression but there was intermittent anxiety.

He said a follow-up assessment had shown there was some reoccurance of anxiety and 'brief thoughts' of suicide but they were not deemed to be strong or persistent.

Consultant pathologist Dr Helen Stringfellow said the cause of death was hanging and there was no evidence of any significant levels of alcohol or drugs in his system.