Crisis talks were held today in a bid to save Chorley Carnival after organisers announced it was being cancelled.
The popular event was scheduled to be held from Friday, June 5 to Sunday, June 7 at Chorley’s Astley Park.
“It looks like there is a way forward but it’s up to the committee and a final decision will be made at tonight’s committee meeting.”Paul Wilkins, chairman of Chorley Carnival committee
But the committee took to social media on Wednesday to say it would not go ahead.
William Clarke, a committee member, wrote on Facebook: “It is with much regret that we are having to cancel this year’s Chorley carnival.”
He said the committee had been asked by Chorley Council to get ground reinstatement insurance or pay a £7,500 bond to cover the cost of any damage to the ground.
But he said they did not have the funds and the event would have to be cancelled.
This morning, the carnival committee’s chairman Paul Wilkins met council bosses to discuss what could be done.
He said the council had proposed a lower amount for the bond and it was due to be considered by the carnival committee at a meeting tonight.
Mr Wilkins said: “It looks like there is a way forward but it’s up to the committee and a final decision will be made at tonight’s committee meeting.
“We are hopeful we can find a way forward.”
The committee is also expected to consider whether to hold a public meeting to explain the situation.
A statement put on Facebook by the council said there was more than £10,000 worth of damage to the park after last year’s carnival, which was paid by the council.
Coun Alistair Bradley, leader of Chorley Council, said: “The council has met with the carnival organisers today (Thursday) and offered a way forward.
“The carnival committee is due to discuss that later today and we will wait to hear back from them.”