Woman’s thumb crushed at Chorley bingo hall

Gala Bingo Hall, Market Street in Chorley.
Gala Bingo Hall, Market Street in Chorley.
Share this article

A woman had to be freed by firefighters after her thumb got stuck in a machine at a bingo hall in Chorley.

Fire crews from Chorley fire station were called to Gala Bingo in the town centre at around 10pm on Monday night.

The 24-year-old, who works at the bingo hall, had got her thumb stuck in an automated coin machine. She was freed by fire fighters and taken to hospital by ambulance.

Neil Mitchell, acting watch manager at Chorley fire station, said: “It looks like she was doing her job and something has gone wrong.

“The ambulance service gave her medical treatment, she was in quite a lot of pain, while the fire service disassembled the machine.”

A spokesman for Gala said the employee was back at work yesterday with a bruised thumb, and the machine was the conveyor system that is connected to the cashier podium. He said something was stuck in the machine and the woman was trying to get it out.