AFC Fylde 1-3 Chorley

Matthew Flynn of Chorley
Matthew Flynn of Chorley
Share this article

Hot-shot Aaron Burns scored twice as Chorley claimed the bragging rights over rivals AFC Fylde with a fine away victory.

Garry Flitcroft’s side put in a second half to remember as they romped in three goals to secure a win on the road.

Despite the victory, the Magpies slipped out of the play-off places due to fellow promotion chasers Hednesford Town picking up three points away at Colwyn Bay.

In a poor first half it was the Conference North table toppers who went in with the advantage at the break as former Bamber Bridge forward Richie Allen scored a fine solo effort.

The lead was cancelled out in the 58th minute as Burns deflected an effort past Coasters ‘keeper Ben Hinchliffe.

Chorley then took the lead five minutes later as Burns showed quality neatly finishing from six-yards before they put the game to bed scoring an all important third as the impressive Josh Hine sent Hinchliffe the wrong way from the penalty spot.

It was a tentative start at Kellamergh Park, as both sides struggled to pass the ball around on a bobbly surface.

AFC Fylde ‘keeper Hinchliffe twice denied two tame Burns efforts while Sam Ashton looked comfortable claiming two high crosses.

The wind continued to dictate the style of play with both sides feeling the effects, Chorley continued to shoot from long range with Adam Roscoe and Hine both skewing efforts well wide of goal.

The Coasters, were struggling with both the pitch and wind but eight minutes before the interval they took the lead with their first shot on target.

Frontman Allen picked up the ball on the right hand side, he carried the ball to the edge of the box before cutting inside on his left foot bypassing Adam Mather and then Andrew Teague before impressively curling a left footed past Ashton and into the far left corner.

The home side were buoyed by their goal and one minute later Allen stung the chest of Ashton from an acute angle and then Danny Lloyd blazed the rebound over.

Early in the second half and Lloyd was again involved in the action shooting wide from the edge of the box.

The game continued to be dictated by the weather conditions but somewhat against the run-of-play the Magpies equalised two minutes before the hour mark.

Fylde tried and failed to clear several high crosses, the ball ricocheted around in area before it found its way to the lurking Hine he drilled a shot through a crowd of bodies and the all important deflection came off Burns to wrong foot Hinchliffe and fly into the net.

The visitors had their tails up and five minutes later there was pandemonium behind Hinchliffe’s goal as Chorley took the lead.

Dale Whitham expertly curled a cross into the six-yard box and waiting was Burns who made no mistake tapping in and bagging his third goal in two games.

Fylde instantly looked for a response, the tricky Lloyd continued to pose problems while Adam Sumner’s cross was acrobatically headed wide by Teague.

With just over 10 minutes remaining and the game evenly poised, Hine broke at pace down the right and as he looked to pull the trigger he was taken out by a sliding Sumner.

Hine picked himself up and dusted himself down and slammed the ball into the left hand side of the goal sending Hinchliffe the wrong way.

The former Skelmersdale United man could have had a second soon after as he glided past Sumner only to see his well struck effort blocked by Hinchliffe.

Despite being two goals down, Fylde side still looked dangerous and Ashton was called upon to make a fine save two minutes from time clawing a Danny Rowe header off the line.

Rowe saw a late free-kick blocked brilliantly by Flynn and the Magpies saw the remainder of stoppage time out with ease.

Chorley: Ashton, Ross, Mather, Teague (c), Flynn, Roscoe, Hine, Whitham, Dean (Simm 72), Burns (Cottrell 89), Dorney (Almond 84)

Subs not used: Winter, Lynch,

Attendance: 1048

Referee: David Richardson