Agony at Aggborough for depleted Magpies

Jack Dorney controls the ball in midfield
Jack Dorney controls the ball in midfield
Share this article

The table-topping Magpies were well and truly brought back down to earth with a bump as they crashed to defeat to mid-table Worcester City at Aggborough.

Chorley made a couple of changes from midweek, with the injured talismanic captain Andrew Teague replaced by Laquan Esdaille-Biney, who was making his first start.

Right-back Kyle Jacobs started his three-match suspension and was replaced by Mark Ross.

The Magpies were looking to carry on from their winning run which had continued with the 1-0 success against North Ferriby last Tuesday.

But they found their opponents at their best and it was goals from captain Ellis Deeney and substitute Tristan Dunkley that gave the Midlands side all the spoils in this match.

The home side, who have shared the Kidderminster Harriers ground since the beginning of 2013, started the better of the two teams enjoying a lions share of possession and half chances.

Sean Geddes put a through ball towards Daniel Nti, but Sam Ashton got down to rescue the ball before it found the feet of the lively winger.

Deeney’s volley towards goal from Jackman’s cross flew over Ashton’s cross bar

The home side efforts were finally rewarded in the 31st minute.

Deeney picked the ball up in the corner of the penalty area, and finding space off to his left, floated a curling shot over an outstreched Ashton and inside the far post.

Worcester almost doubled their lead just before the break. Ashton sprung to his right to deny Geddes from a free-kick.

After the interval, there was no let up in the home side’s attacking. Connor Gater found the roof of the net as he lobbed a shot over Ashton in the opening couple of minutes, and Geddes sent a half-volley over the bar.

Chorley’s first chance of the game came when Darren Stephenson stooped to head a James Dean centre, but the ball ended wide of the near post.

At the other end, Ashton smartly parried an Nti curling shot away for a corner, and minutes later, saved again from as Symons ran into the box to shoot towards goal.

Captain Dale Whitham had a chance to equalise 10 minutes from time, but he badly miscued

his header before home sub Nick Wright scrambled a ball to safety in the box when Jack Dorney was about to pull the trigger.

Worcester wrapped up victory three minutes from time, when a misplaced pass from Hine inside the Blues’ half, found Wright who raced down the left to cut in and cross for an unmarked Dunkley to finish from close range to kill off any hopes of a Chorley revival.

Jack Lynch tested home keeper Nathan Vaughan with Chorley’s first chance on target, but he parried the substitute’s 25-yard drive away for a corner.

In all, it was a poor performance from the Magpies on this occasion.

Chorley are currently struggling with injuries and suspensions and on evidence of this game, it showed.

CHORLEY: Sam Ashton, Mark Ross, Adam Mather, Laquan Esdaille-Biney (Jack Lynch 72), Tom Smyth, Adam Roscoe, Josh Hine, Dale Whitham, James Dean (Paul Jarvis 66), Jack Dorney, Darren Stephenson. Subs not used: Chris Almond, Matt Jansen, Aaron Grundy

Attendance: 551