Captain Teague ensures a replay for Magpies

Andy Teague scored late on for Chorley
Andy Teague scored late on for Chorley
Share this article

A last-gasp header from Chorley captain Andy Teague ensured Garry Flitcroft’s side will be in the draw for the first round of the FA Trophy after drawing 2-2 with Stalybridge Celtic.

Teague headed in with one minute remaining on the clock after Celtic’s Liam Dickinson had given the visitors the lead with just three minutes remaining.

Earlier in the half, Paul Ennis had draw the sides level cancelling out Darren Stephenson’s strike in the first half.

The sides will meet again on Tuesday night at Bowerfold in a replay and Chorley’s scheduled league home tie against Leamington has been postponed.

Chorley went into the game looking to make it three wins on the spin after a victories over Hyde and Stockport County.

Boss Flitcroft made five changes to his starting eleven with Chris Almond, Kyle Jacobs, Teague, Jack Lynch and Paul Jarvis all coming in with Chris Doyle, Josh Hine and Harry Winter missing through injury, illness and suspension, while Adam Roscoe and Adam Mather dropped to the bench.

It was a fairly slow start to the game at the Chorley Group Victory Park stadium, both sets of players struggled to keep their footing on a greasy surface which dictated the style of play from both sides.

Almond had the first chance on goal after 16 minutes, he and goalscorer Stephenson exchanged passes but the former prodded wide of goal from 10 yards.

Magpies goalkeeper Aaron Grundy was called into action soon after as he comfortably collected a Dickinson free-kick.

Dale Whitham, who was in his more familiar position of central midfield then flicked the top of the bar after Lewis King came off worse in a 50/50 with Stephenson.

Just short of the half hour mark and with Chorley pressing they broke the deadlock.

Whitham whipped in a corner and at the front post a combination of Teague and Stephenson bundled the ball over the line.

After much deliberation between fans, officials and players the goal was later awarded to the hard working Stephenson.

The second half saw very little action in the first 15 minutes, Almond hobbled off with a foot injury just before the hour mark and he was replaced by James Dean.

With 19 minutes remaining substitute George Lomax twisted his way past Teague and from the edge of the box he hit a well struck effort only to be tremendously denied by the onrushing Grundy who saved well diving low to his left.

Celtic continued to press the home side and with 15 minutes remaining, Ennis waltzed his way past Jacobs cutting in from the right hand side and from inside the area he curled a shot across Grundy and into the corner to draw the sides level.

The visitors, buoyed by their equaliser continued to press and with three minutes of normal time remaining, a catastrophic error from Jake Cottrell saw his poor back pass pounced on by Dickinson and with all the time in the world he slotted past Grundy to give Celtic the victory.

With just one minute remaining, Flitcroft pumped his men forward, from the left wing, Jarvis whipped a cross into the area and surging from the edge of the area was Teague who pounded a header into the net.

Referee Peter Wright allowed seconds after the kick-off before blowing his whistle and ensuring the sides will meet again on Tuesday night.

Chorley: Grundy, Jacobs, Jarvis, Ross, Teague (c), Lynch (Roscoe 67), Almond (Dean 59), Whitham, Simm, Stephenson, Cottrell

Unused subs: Mather, Dorney, Ashton (gk)

Attendance: 717

Referee: Peter Wright