Charnock get cup bid off to a solid start

editorial image
Share this article

Charnock Richard cruised through the first round of the Richardson Cup with a comfortable victory over Vickerstown.

The villagers ran out 4-1 winners with two goals coming from Danial Hogg, and strikes from Mark Woods and Ross Bain sealing the victory.

Vickerstown hit back in the 88th minute through Dave Jackson, but the victory was much a routine for Charnock who defeated their opponents for a second time in two weeks.

Charnock, twice winners of the Richardson Cup, started brightly with Hogg’s pace causing problems throughout the ninety minutes.

Vickerstown had their chances but sloppy mistakes in the final third meant Gavin Bates was untested the opening 45 minutes.

As half-time approached, Danny Nolan saw an effort tipped over the bar and from the resulting corner Charnock had three shots blocked with one rebounding out for another corner.

And it was from the corner Charnock took the lead.

The corner was sent in and Bain headed the ball home to give Charnock a deserved lead.

David Fisher could have made it two minutes later but his shot went over.

Charnock continued where they left off in the first half and after just one minute, they doubled their lead.

Nolan was the architect, dancing down the right-hand side before his cross was met by Hogg, who finished from close range.

Charnock started to play some of the best football they have in recent weeks and the villagers soon made it 3-0.

Hogg was involved again as he received a pass from Liam Hayton.

Hogg then sent in an excellent cross which was met by Mark Woods who made the finish look easy.

It was 4-0 when Mike Fletcher threaded a great pass through to Hogg on the right of the six-yard box and he made no mistake in grabbing his second goal of the


Hogg could and probably should have had a hat-trick but he saw an effort saved well by the Vickerstown keeper.

Eccles in the Vickerstown goals was proving to have a stormer as he saved well from Carl Grimshaw.

Hogg then blasted

an effort well over in the final minutes before Jackson bagged a consolation goal for the visitors.

n Euxton Villa thrashed Norcross&Warbreck 7-3 in the first round of the Richardson Cup.

Euxton dominated from kick off and Norcross who are struggling in the West Lancashire Premier Division had no answer to the slick passing from Mark McDonnell’s side.

Star player Byron Andrew opened the scoring for Euxton with a fine individual effort.

And the attacking midfielder soon made it 2-0 again finishing well.

But almost from the kick off Norcross hit back through Danny Whittaker to somewhat silence the Euxton


But not to be deterred, Villa continued to pass the ball wall and on the half-hour mark Dan Morris made it 3-1.

Norcross hit back again to make it 3-2 but Danny Marland bagged for Euxton on the stroke of hal- time.

The second half was much of the same with Euxton dominating proceedings.

Morris grabbed his second and Euxton’s fifth before Dave Heald made it six.

Nitisat Sirisom made it 6-3 but a fitting end saw Euxton round off the scoring through Adam McCallister to seal the 7-3 victory.

n Coppull United were dumped out of the cup as they lost 2-0 to Blackpool Wren Rovers.