Charnock in heaven as they bag seven

David Burrows scores for Charnock Richard against Norcross and Warbreck
David Burrows scores for Charnock Richard against Norcross and Warbreck
Share this article

Four first-half goals from David Burrows saw table-toppers Charnock Richard thrash Norcross and Warbreck 7-1 in the West Lancashire League Premier Division.

Burrows’ goals were joined by a double from leading goalscorer Carl Grimshaw and a strike from the evergreen Andy Roberts.

Norcross did get themselves on the score sheet through Carl Eastwood.

The visitors started brightly, however for all their possession they created little.

And it was Charnock who took the lead after 15 minutes, Woods firing across goal and Burrows making no mistake finding the back-of-the-net.

It was 2-0 four minutes later, Burrows found himself one-on-one with the goalkeeper and it a challenge the ball rebounded off the former and rolled into the back of -the-net.

Woods was proving to be the architect in midfield as he set up Grimshaw but the latter could only fire wide.

More misery was heaped on Norcross in the 26th minute, Burrows broke clear and was hauled down inside the penalty meaning they were reduced to 10 men and a spot kick was awarded.

Grimshaw stepped up and sent the goalkeeper the wrong may to make it 3-0.

Gary Pett then had a chance for Norcross but it was all Charnock and they bagged two goals in the final five minutes to extend their lead to five.

Woods again crossed and Burrows although initially missing the ball the first time slammed the ball in second time round.

A long ball over-the-top then saw Burrows break the Norcross back line and lob the on rushing keeper.

Norcross could have hit back just prior to the break, Mike Fletcher losing the ball in midfield and Eastwood broke clear but he could only shoot past the post.

Charnock then had one final attack of the half as Fletcher sent Woods clear on goal but the goalkeeper produced a fine save with his foot.

It would soon be six in the 52nd minute as Woods played through Grimshaw who finished comfortably.

Norcross did hit back through a Eastwood free kick which left Gavin Bates no chance but the away side were always tiring and Charnock stepped it up a gear to dominate the final 20 minutes.

Grimshaw got free but shot past the post and then Liam Hayton cut in from the left but his effort was beyond the far post.

The Mossie Park outfit then made it 7-1 as substitute Spencer Bibby crossed for veteran Andy Roberts and he had the easiest of finishes to round of the days scoring.

It could of been many more for Charnock as sub Dan Hogg blasted over two efforts and then produced a save from the on rushing goalkeeper.

In the final minute Woods cut in from the left and another great chance was spurned much to the frustration of manager Andy Westwell.

Coppull United suffered a huge blow in their quest for a top three place.

They lost 1-0 away at Fulwood Amateurs thanks to a solitary strike from Ryan McKenna.