Charnock increase lead as Roberts seals victory

editorial image
Share this article

Charnock Richard extended their lead at the top of the West Lancashire League Premier Division table by beating Longridge 2-0.

While most teams were competing in the first round of the Lancashire FA Amateur Shield over the weekend, Charnock took advantage to extend their lead to seven points.

Manager Andy Westwell was forced yet again to make a number of changes as the in-form Danny Nolan was unavailable, while Mike Galliers, Mike Fletcher and Liam Hayton were also missing.

Both sides started brightly with Longridge creating early chances.

Roberts conceded a free-kick on the half way line which was fired into the box leading to a goalmouth scramble.

Longridge fired several attempts on goal, with former keeper Gavin Bates saving one well with his feet.

The resulting scramble lead to a Charnock counter-attack. Damian Dashti broke down the right-hand side, showing his pace, before delivered a fine cross from the right-hand corner which was met by the head of Carl Grimshaw, who finished excellently to give Charnock the


Charnock had chances later on in the half with Grimshaw seeing his shot well saved and David Burrows firing wide.

Longridge continued to attack and they themselves could have grabbed an equaliser but Rick Coar fired wide.

The away side had a number of chances but their defence was again breached after a fine goal from Roberts.

Mark Woods broke from midfield and set up the veteran, who calmly slotted past the goalkeeper and beating the offside trap.

Longridge fought until the final whistle but Charnock had the quality to the seal all three points.

Charnock will have a home tie against Leigh Athletic in the second round of the Amateur Trophy, with the fixture is to be played on Saturday, October 5.

n Euxton Villa suffered a shock 3-2 defeat away at Golborn Sports in the Lancashire FA Amateur Trophy.

Villa ended the game with nine men and without a recognised goalkeeper between the posts after they lost Shaun Gibbs early on after he broke several fingers.

Byron Andrew, Ash Ball, Danial Hogg and Daniel Morris all had early efforts but Villa were rocked on the half-hour mark.

A routine corner saw Golborne take the lead.

Almost instantly, Euxton hit back but Morris hit the bar before Hogg latched on to a throughball and finished with aplomb.

Ball and Hogg were then sent off by the referee, and Gibbs left the field with his hand injury.

And inevitably, Villa struggled with nine men and a rookie goalkeeper.

The referee who wanted to be centre of attention then awarded a dubious penalty which was converted and gave Golborne the lead.

Sam Bolton drew the sides level, but Golborne scored again in the last few minutes to seal the 3-2 victory.

n Coppull United didn’t hit a banana skin in the cup as they won 1-0 at Hindsford.

A penalty, which was converted by Chris Robinson, sealed the victory in a dominant performance.