Charnock pay a high Pryce for poor show

Carl Grimshaw heads towards goal
Carl Grimshaw heads towards goal
Share this article

Bottom-of-the-table Eagley sprung the surprise of the weekend in the Premier Division as they defeated title chasers Charnock Richard.

Eagley’s Jack Horan gave the visitors the lead after 25 minutes, before Carl Grimshaw drew the sides level four minutes later.

But Eagley, who are managed by former Preston North End winger Simon Whaley, found the winner three minutes from time through Tom Pryce.

The defeat leaves Charnock four points off table toppers Blackpool Wren Rovers but with one game in hand.

Eagley started well showing their eagerness to make an impact on the game.

After just 60 seconds, Gavin Bates was called into action to deny Jack Horan.

The legs of Tom McDonald then denied Grimshaw and Ryan Donnellan saw his shot blocked on the edge of the six-yard box by McDonald.

Minutes later Charnock fell behind as Danny Warburton lifted in a centre from the right and a glancing header by Horan beat Bates.

The home side’s lead didn’t last long as David Prout played in Grimshaw and he struck a shot across McDonald which nestled in the corner.

Buoyed by his goal, Grimshaw saw a diving header go inches over the bar and then Andy Roberts missed an open goal just moments before the interval.

Charnock came out fired up for the start of the second half and they saw far more of the possession but creating chances proved to be difficult.

Grimshaw again missed an effort when clear on goal and then substitute Dave Burrows, dinked an effort the wrong side of the post after beating the offside trap.

Immediately after, Jamie Sanderson provided a heading chance for Grimshaw but his effort went straight into McDonald’s arms.

It looked as if Grimshaw had scored the winner eight minutes from time but his effort was chalked off for a marginal offside.

After being under the cosh for the majority of the second half, Pryce fashioned an opportunity for Eagley on the edge of the box and he made no mistake finding the corner.

Charnock pressed and despite the additional five minutes they failed to find an equaliser which saw Eagley claim three precious points.

n Dave Haughton’s Coppull United marched into the semi-final of the Lancashire FA Amateur Shield after they defeated Vickerstown 3-2 on penalties.

Earlier the game had finished 2-2.

Vickerstown took the lead in the early stages.

Then early in the second half ,Lewis Grimshaw showed great quality lashing the ball into the top corner.

And just after the hour mark, Mitch Leece gave Coppull the lead, but Vickerstown hit back late on to take the tie to penalties.

Leece and Pete Dunkley both missed but more heroics from goalkeeper Gavin King saw Coppull advance.