Charnock run riot with fine five-star win

Andy Roberts celebrates his goal for Charnock Richard
Andy Roberts celebrates his goal for Charnock Richard
Share this article

Rampant Charnock Richard thrashed Vickerstown to keep the pressure on table toppers Blackpool Wren Rovers in the Premier Division of the West Lancashire League.

Andy Westwell’s side scored five unanswered goals with five players getting their names on the scoresheet.

Carl Grimshaw, Andy Roberts, Danny Nolan, Jack Bennett and David Burrows all found the net in the victory.

It was a cold and cloudy afternoon and boss Westwell lined up with Grimshaw, Burrows and Nolan, who all led the front line.

Charnock peppered the Vickerstown goal throughout the 90 minutes.

As early as the second minute, goalkeeper Jordan Belcher saved well from a Grimshaw shot, but shortly after, Liam Hayton bulleted a header forward which found Grimshaw in front of goal and he arrowed a shot into the net.

Charnock were having the balance of the possession, but the long ball tactics of the visitors still carried a threat.

Charnock doubled their lead after 19 minutes, in fortunate circumstances.

Hayton again was involved in the action, heading at goal and a slight deflection off Roberts saw the ball trickle into the net.

Sean Paterson kept Gavin Bates on his toes, striking a 30 yard effort at goal, but Vickerstown couldn’t cope with Charnock’s attacking threat.

Nine minutes before the interval, Nolan hooked an effort on the edge of the area into the top corner, with keeper Belcher rooted to the spot.

The second half saw Vickerstown come out with more intent, and Charnock were forced to defend.

Two shots from the visitors in the penalty area were blocked before, on 57 minutes, Damian Dashti charged down the left and centred to Roberts, who saw his header saved at point-blank range by Belcher, and then the stopper turned the follow-up effort around the post.

Charnock sealed the three points just before the hour mark. Bennett picked the ball up on the right and jinxed his way past two defenders, swerving his way around the goalkeeper to tap into an empty net.

Vickerstown were still plugging away despite this setback, and when Bates came out for a centre and missed the ball, Mike Imison’s header dropped on the roof of the net.

As Vickerstown started to tire, Roberts and Grimshaw both saw efforts flash wide of goal, before Belcher smothered the latter’s shot.

A defensive mistake one minute before the end gave Burrows a chance to go clear, and he made no mistake in beating Belcher to round off a fine performance.

l Coppull United fought back from two goals down to snatch a point against Slyne with Hest.

Two first-half strikes from Tom Entwistle saw Slyne take the lead, before Ryan Salmon pulled a goal back with eight minutes left. Dave Haughton’s side threw men forward, and two minutes later the ball ricocheted off a Slyne player and into the net to seal a point.