Chorley 1-0 Guiseley

Chorley vs. Guiseley
Chorley vs. Guiseley
Share this article

Josh Hine scored a precious goal five minutes from time to seal a valuable three points for Chorley against fellow promotion hopefuls Guiseley.

Hine, who missed a penalty in the first-half, blasted home from three-yards to send the home fans wild and score his fourth goal in just two games.

Guiseley did have chances of their own, but Magpies shot stopper Sam Ashton was in fine form making a number of crucial saves.

Victory sees Chorley rise to third in the Vanarama Conference North table and it extends their fine run to four wins in as many games.

It was a lively start at the Chorley Group Victory Park stadium, Aaron Burns, coming in for the injured James Dean, shot wide in the second minute, while at the other end, Sam Ashton saved well diving to his left to deny Wayne Brooksby.

Both sides enjoyed small spells of possession in the opening stages but little was created.

The boggy surface wasn’t helping either side but to their credit, both looked to keep the ball on the floor and pass it around.

There wasn’t a lot between the two teams but shortly after the half hour, the hosts were given a golden opportunity to take the lead.

Hine burst past the back line at pace, as he went to challenge for an aerial ball he was clattered by an onrushing Drench and much to the surprise of the Guiseley shot stopper, referee Joseph Johnson pointed to the spot.

With no Dean on the pitch, Hine was given the honours of taking the spot kick, but Drench immediately redeemed himself as he pulled off a tremendous save diving to his right to push wide the penalty.

Late in the half, Brooksby had his second chance of the game heading into the side netting after Ashton misjudged a high cross.

The opening stages of the second half saw nothing created, with the majority of play taking place in the middle of the pitch.

Guiseley’s Adam Boyes saw a header glance of the crossbar shortly before the hour and almost straight after, he would be denied again as his well struck effort was tremendously tipped over the bar by Ashton.

The game turned scrappy, tackles started to fly in and the visitors spurned a great chance when Oli Johnson blazed wide from six yards.

The hosts hadn’t created anything in the second half but with five minutes remaining they took the lead.

Drench could only palm Dorney’s drilled shot, following up the loose ball was Hine and he made no mistake blasting the ball in from three yards, atoning his earlier penalty miss.

Chorley: Ashton, Ross, Jarvis, Teague (c), Doyle, Roscoe, Hine, Whitham, Burns (Almond 83), Winter (Cottrell 65), Dorney

Subs not used: Flynn, Lynch, Dodd

Attendance: 1,011

Referee: Joseph Johnson