Chorley 3-0 FC United

Chorley vs. FC United
Chorley vs. FC United
Share this article

Josh Hine scored a brace as Chorley secured their first victory of the National League North season against FC United of Manchester.

The Magpies were worthy winners on the night and moved off the bottom of the table with the win.

Victory for Chorley saw them move 10 places up the table to 12th.

Striker Hine opened the scoring for Chorley in the 11th minute tapping in at the back post.

FC had to play the majority of the second half with 10 men as skipper Jerome Wright was given his marching orders by referee Kevin Mulraine.

The lively Darren Stephenson doubled the Magpies’ lead on the hour before Hine scored his second and Chorley’s third with two minutes remaining.

It was a quiet opening at the Victory Park Stadium, both sides exchanged small spells of possession but little was created.

With the first chance of the game, the hosts opened the scoring in the 11th minute.

Midfielder Andy Bond released Stephenson down the left, he played a one-two with James Dean before whipping in a cross from the edge of the area leaving Hine a simple two yard finish at the back post.

Buoyed by their goal the Magpies started to press, Hine and Stephenson’s pace causing problems down their respected wings.

Several crosses were whipped into the FC area but on each occasion, the Chorley front line failed to connect.

The visitors enjoyed their best spell of the game in the final stages of the half.

First, Tom Greaves flicked wide Rory Fallon’s shot/cross and then Sam Ashton pulled off a fine stop tipping over Sean Cooke’s free-kick from the left.

From the resulting corner, Ashton saved well diving low to his right pushing wide Nia Bayunu’s header.

FC were piling on the pressure and from their second successive corner, Greaves rattled the crossbar with a miscued shot.

Early in the second half and Ashton was called into action once again, this time palming away David Birch’s well struck effort.

The visitors were reduced to 10 men in the 54th minute, skipper Wright being given his marching orders after a late challenge on Roscoe.

Earlier in the game, Wright had been booked after pulling back Stephenson when the striker looked to break on goal.

The red card was Wright’s second in as many fixtures.

Chorley took advantage of the extra man and scored a second on the hour.

Fullback Mark Ross sent Stephenson clear on goal with a fine cross field ball, FC ‘keeper David Carnell hesitated and the Chorley forward kept his composure to slot the ball into the bottom right corner.

FC continued to push men forward and Cooke’s shot from the edge of the box was pushed wide by Ashton.

Substitute Marcus Carver should have added to the Magpies’ lead but he could only blaze over when one-on-one with Carnell in the 75th minute.

Chorley continued to dominate, Carver seeing his cross hooked away by Luke Ashworth and Roscoe was inches away from heading in at the back post.

FC had a rare opportunity in the second half, Greaves heading harmlessly over from six yards with 10 minutes remaining.

The Magpies well and truly put the game to bed in the 88th minute.

Substitute Lewis Guy raced away down the left, his shot was only half stopped by an onrushing Carnell and Hine was left with a simple tap in into an empty net.

Chorley: Ashton, Ross, Jarvis (Dodd 73), Doyle, Charnock, Roscoe, Hine, Whitham (c), Dean (Carver 69), Bond, Stephenson (Guy 77)

Subs not used: Flynn,Cottrell,

Attendance: 1876

Referee: Kevin Mulraine (Cumbria)