Chorley 3-3 FC United of Manchester

Jake Cottrell put in a man of the match performance against FC United
Jake Cottrell put in a man of the match performance against FC United
Share this article

James Dean scored a late equaliser as Chorley salvaged a replay against FC United of Manchester in the FA Trophy.

The Magpies edged the first half playing with a direct style but the second half saw them throw away a two goal lead and battling in the final stages to seal a replay.

It had looked like FC United were going to snatch a victory after Matthew Wolfenden scored eight minutes before the final but whistle.

But Dean headed past ‘keeper David Carnell to ensure both sides will keep an eye on Monday’s draw.

Earlier, Chorley had raced into a two goal lead with Paul Jarvis sending the home supporters wild in the 16th minute.

Eight minutes before the break and the Chorley fans were cheering again as Dean showed great quality volleying in.

But how things change, the second half saw the Evo Stik Premier Division side dominate and Tom Greaves pulled a goal back minutes before the hour mark.

Greaves was in the action once again as he pulled the sides level with a fine solo effort before Chorley fell behind and eventually sealed a deserved replay.

The replay will take place on Tuesday night at Curzon Ashton’s Tameside Stadium.

Boss Garry Flitcroft made four changes ahead of the eagerly anticipated cup tie.

With news breaking before the game that fullback Kyle Jacobs had rejoined Stockport County, Mark Ross recovered from injury to take the vacant spot at right back.

Centre-half Tom Smyth replaced Chris Doyle, who has returned to parent club Morecambe, while Sam Ashton found himself between the posts after fellow ‘keeper Aaron Grundy was ruled out through sickness.

Harry Winter also came into the team replacing Jack Lynch who dropped to the bench.

There was a thunderous sound that rang out around the Chorley Group Stadium as both teams were cheered on by their respected supporters.

It was a slow start to the game that had plenty of pre-match hype, both sides played a direct style of play and both games remained untroubled.

For FC, Craig Lindfield saw a cross flash across the box while Winter curled a shot over the bar for Chorley.

After a cagey opening 15 minutes, it was the home side that opened the scoring.

Josh Hine played a neat ball through the legs of Jerome Wright on the edge of the area, running onto the ball was Jarvis and his cross come shot took a slight deflection, which left Carnell wrong footed and beaten at his near post as Victory Park erupted.

The goal did not deter the visitors and Wright was denied by a last ditch Ross challenge inside the area after jinxing his was past two Chorley defenders.

‘Keeper Ashton was spared his blushes by FC’s Greaves as he headed wide of an empty net, prior to the header, Ashton had been taken out of the game after being caught out by a deep cross at the back post which Wolfenden headed back across goal..

FC shot stopper David Carnell visibly struggled with the high balls sent into his area fumbling a number of corners but Chorley failed to take advantage.

Lindfield then drilled a left footed effort well wide of goal and then eight minutes before the break and against the run of play, Chorley doubled their lead.

Skipper Andy Teague punted a long ball forward, Hine showed brilliance on the edge of the box neatly chesting the ball down and running onto the ball was Dean who thundered his effort into the top right hand corner.

The home side had a glorious to put the game to bed four minutes before the half-time whistle.

A long throw was sent into the area, meeting the ball was Teague but his bullet header went inches over the bar.

It was a slow start to the second half, the boggy pitch continued to dictate the style of play with both sides having no success in front of goal.

Skipper Teague once again headed over the bar before the home fans were silenced as FC pulled a goal back.

Callum Byrne scooped a ball over the Chorley defence, beating the offside trap was Greaves and from 12 yards, he showed great skill chesting the ball before hitting a right footed volley into the top corner.

The visiting players were clearly buoyed by their goal and skipper Birch hit a well struck effort wide of the goal.

Six minutes after the hour mark, FC United completed the comeback as Greaves bagged his second.

The in-form man, who scored against Chorley twice last season, found space down the left, he bulldozed his into area and from an acute angle he shot across Ashton finding the bottom right hand corner.

Karl Marginson’s side were clearly on top, the FC fans were loud and very vocal and they continued to pepper the Chorley area.

The home side gradually grew into the game, Dean headed wide of goal from six yards and Smyth acrobatically volleyed wide of goal.

Then somewhat against the run of play, the visitors took the lead sending their 956 fans wild.

A long throw caught out the Chorley defence, breaking free was Wolfenden inside the box and after steadying himself he shot under the onrushing Ashton.

Up against it, boss Flitcroft introduced Jack Dorney and two minutes after the visitors took the lead, Chorley grabbed an equaliser.

A cross was sent into the area, Hine rose above everybody heading to the back post and on hand was Dean who bulleted a header past Carnell.

It was an action packed last few minutes with both sides looking for a confirmed spot in the third round.

Hine, who had three assists to his name, fired a shot into the side netting beating Carnell at his near post while Ashton came out best smothering a threw ball with Wright lurking.

The final seconds faded away with Adam Mather’s free-kick being comfortably cleared and the teams will do it all again at Curzon Ashton’s Tameside Stadium on Tuesday night.

Chorley: Ashton, Ross, Mather, Teague (c), Smyth (Dorney 83), Cottrell, Hine, Whitham, Dean, Winter (Roscoe 74), Jarvis

Unused subs: Lynch, Simm, Mulholland

Attendance: 2254 (965 away fans)