Chorley 4-1 Gainsborough Trinity

Chorley vs. Gainsborough Trinity
Chorley vs. Gainsborough Trinity
Share this article

Hat-trick hero James Dean fired Chorley to their first win of 2015 against a struggling outfit in Gainsborough Trinity.

Dean tormented the Blues’ defenders throughout the whole Vanarama Conference tie and scored three second half goals including one from the penalty spot after debutant Aaron Burns had earlier given Chorley the lead in the first half

Simon Russell scored a spot kick for the Blues in added time to reduce the deficit.

The victory sees Chorley rise to fifth and back in the play-off places.

Boss Garry Flitcroft brought new signings Burns and Matt Flynn into the side along with Dorney and Adam Roscoe and with just six minutes on the clock it was his side who took the lead after a quick start.

Winger Jack Dorney beat a man down the left, his well timed cross found Burns in the six yard box and with ease he stroked the ball into the back-of-the-net.

Prior to Burns’ goal, Dale Whitham should have given the Magpies the lead but experienced ‘keeper Jan Budtz pushed away his shot from three yards.

The home side were buoyed by the early goal and they created further chances, Dean saw a chipped effort tipped wide by a back pedalling Budtz and Josh Hine rattled the stanchion after breaking down the right.

The movement of Burns continued to pose a threat up front and he should have doubled Chorley’s lead in the 17th minute.

Dean timed a through ball to perfection down the left, Burns beat his man for pace latching onto the ball and with only the Trinity ‘keeper to beat he shot inches wide.

The visitors, who have won their last two fixtures, could have equalised shortly after the 20 minute mark but Paul Beesley could only fire wide from a Tom Davie cross.

On the half hour mark, Budtz was almost left red faced as he fumbled an Adam Mather corner and as Chorley looked to take advantage the Danish shotstopper recovered the ball at the second time of asking.

Despite an impressive start to the half the game turned scrappy, Beesley failing to latch onto a Dan Clayton cross while Hine and Dorney both saw through balls intercepted.

In the final seconds of the half a loose ball inside the area found its way to Dean but his left footed effort was well wide of the goal.

The Trinity players appeared early from their half-time break but Steve Housham’s plans were torn apart after just one minute.

An exquisite back heel from Burns played through Dean, he carried the ball into the area and struck a left footed effort under the onrushing Budtz.

The early goal set Chorley on their way, Burns blazed over from three yards and then Roscoe saw a well struck 35-yard effort tipped over the bar before a moment of madness from Budtz saw Chorley add a third.

The Danish ‘keeper made a smart save smothering a Hine shot, the ball became loose and as Hine looked to make a challenge Budtz through the striker to the floor, referee Andrew Backhouse didn’t hesitate in pointing to the spot and Dean slammed his spot kick straight down the middle.

On the hour mark Chorley heaped more misery on their struggling opponents, Roscoe bulleted a header towards goal, Budtz made a fine save tipping the ball wide but on hand was Dean, who reacted quickest tapping the ball in to complete his hat-trick.

Four minutes later and the Blues registered their first shot on target as Sam Ashton comfortably gathered a tame Davie shot.

Chorley continued to pepper the Gainsborough area and Hine thundered an effort against the frame of Budtz’s goal.

With just under 15 minutes remaining and losing by four Trinity started to keep the ball on the floor and created a trio of chances.

Winger Dan Clayton hit a wayward effort wide of the goal before Jonathan Margetts curled a shot past the post and then his drilled free-kick was pushed away by Ashton.

Whitham struck an effort inches wide of goal before the travelling Trinity faithful had something to cheer about in stoppage time.

On-loan Hull City forward Margetts clattered with Teague inside the area and referee Backhouse awarded his second spot kick of the game.

Sub Russell stepped up and stroked the ball into the right hand corner sending Ashton the wrong way.

Chorley: Ashton, Ross, Mather, Teague (c), Flynn, Roscoe, Hine (Simm 83), Whitham (Winter 77), Dean, Burns, Dorney (Almond 64)

Unused subs:Lynch,Grundy (gk)

Attendance: 903