Chorley FC v Whitby Town

Chorley FC V Whitby Town at Victory Park
Chorley FC V Whitby Town at Victory Park
Share this article

A shock result at Victory Park on Saturday was overshadowed by a serious injury to Magpies left-back Tom Walker.

The defender was carried off on a stretcher midway through the second half after coming on as a substitute for Mark Ross, and Magpies fans will be hoping for a swift recovery.

Back to the football, and the Magpies simply weren’t at the races in the first 20 minutes, conceding two goals against a Whitby side, who had taken just one point from a possible 30 in their last 10 games, and that came against fellow strugglers Stocksbridge earlier in the week.

The first goal was a combination of pure magic and complete fluke by midfielder Jimmy Beadle, as he hit a 40-yard half-volley which evaded the despairing Russ Saunders and looped into the back of the net.

Then Jamie Vermiglio was denied by a superb stop by goalkeeper Dave Campbell.

Apart from that, bottom-of-the-table Whitby were the better side, and were 2-0 up after 20 minutes, with Jamie Clarke tapping home.

With Garry Flitcroft screaming on the touchline, Russ Saunders had to atone for his earlier error to deny Whitby going further ahead, and the usual fluency to Chorley’s game was absent.

However, when Roscoe crossed for Whitham, the fans in the Duke Street terrace were up in expectation.

Their belief quickly turned to disbelief, however, as the young midfielder, who bagged 20 goals last season, shovelled a poor effort over the bar.

As the second half began, Flitcroft made two changes, with Chris Denham and Tom Walker coming on for Steve Flitcroft and Mark Ross. It became clear that the gaffer had had words at half-time, as Chorley began the second-half much the stronger, with their breakthrough arriving through Wayne Maden on 62 minutes.

Andy Teague headed against the bar from Tom Ince’s free-kick, and Maden hooked in the rebound.

After this, it was a case of attack against defence, with Vermiglio firing marginally over and Chris Denham denied by a super save after a great cross from Walker.

It took until the 77th minute for the deserved equaliser to arrive through Steve Foster’s 11th of the season in the league.

Pushing for a winner, Whitby’s defence stood firm until the fourth minute of stoppage time, when Foster appeared to have flicked the ball over the line.

The crowd behind the goal were sure it was in, as were the Chorley players, but, unlike the Russian linesman who awarded England a goal in the 1966 World Cup, the official did not agree, and the Magpies had to contend with a point.

Chorley (4-4-2): Saunders; Ross (Walker)(Russell), Teague, Maden, Brown; Whitham, Flitcroft (Denham), Vermiglio, Ince; Foster, Roscoe

Man of the match: Adam Roscoe