Chorley fightback to win, but Brig draw in FA Cup

Goal hero Josh Hine
Goal hero Josh Hine
Share this article

Chorley came from behind to run out deserved winners over Alfreton Town.

A brace from Josh Hine – now the National League North’s joint leading scorer with seven goals.

Once again, Chorley reserved their best form for their loyal travelling supporters to move back into the top half of the table.

After a bright opening spell in which Andy Bond worked himself a shooting chance only to fire over the bar, Chorley had an escape when Dayle Southwell crossed for Jay Rollins to direct a far-post header against the upright.

As the sides traded blows, Southwell missed a clear chance, completely miskicking a great cross from Mark Jones in front of goal. The home side’s pressure paid off a minute before the break, Jones and Southwell combining smartly to leave Rollins with a simple finish from six yards.

Jansen’s interval pep-talk prompted a bold Chorley recovery and once Hine had equalised on the hour there was only one result in prospect.

Meeting a Darren Stephenson cross, the Magpies’ sharpshooter let fly from outside the box and beat keeper Henrich Ravas at his near post.

Carver missed a good chance to double the lead from Stephenson’s clever through-pass, the on-loan striker hitting only the side-netting.

But Hine popped up again on 69 minutes to put Chorley in front. This time he met Bond’s deep diagonal cross with a downward header which found the corner of the net despite Ravas getting a hand to the ball.The nearest Boston came to salvaging a point was a deflected shot which flew just wide to Sam Ashton’s obvious relief.

“Our second-half performance was fantastically satisfying,” observed a delighted Jansen afterwards.

“We started to dominate a good side and fully deserved the victory.” His opposite number Dennis Greene said: ‘Once they went in front, we never looked like getting back into the match.”

Meanwhile, AFC Fylde picked up a point at home against a strong Tamworth side at Kellamergh Park in an end to end thriller.

Dion Charles gave the Coasters the lead after 19 minutes with a well-taken effort from just inside the box, before Elliott Durrell brought the scores level on 67th minutes with an acute finish past Hinchliffe.

Just four minutes, Matt Blinkhorn gave Fylde the lead for the second time with a towering header from a Richie Baker corner but the impressive Durrell grabbed his second for the away side just two minutes later, latching on to a long ball forward and fired past Hinchliffe to earn a share of the spoils.

Bamber Bridge will have to do it all again in the FA Cup after they threw away a two-goal advantage at AFC Goole.

Jamie Milligan’s fine free-kick in the 19th minute gave Brig the lead and they looked on course for the second qualifying round of the competition when Alistair waddecar doubled the advantage just before the half-hour mark.

However, Neil Crowe’s men were pegged back after the interval as Bobby Johnson 64 and then Jacob Stannard 83 earned their side a replay on Tuesday at the Sir Tom Finney Stadium.

Elsewhere in the cup, Lancaster defeated Padiham 2-0 with goals from Joseph Whittington and Ryan Winder. Clitheroe lost 2-0 at Marine, but Kendal thrashed Dunston UTS 5-2 . Burscough were 2-1 winners at Alsager Town.