Coar blimey! More agony for struggling Villa

editorial image
Share this article

Euxton Villa’s winless run continued after a last-gasp penalty denied them a point against Longridge Town.

Two strikes from Rick Coar either side of a Jordan Horner strike broke Villa hearts in a 2-1 defeat in the West Lancashire Premier Division and means they haven’t win in five games.

Villa made a bright start with Ashley Ball producing a smart save from Matt Hine.

But despite the early chance, Villa struggled to deal with the high ball and Byron Andrew had to clear excellently off the line with his head to keep the scores level.

But the deadlock was broken just short of the half-hour mark.

Coar, who proved to be a thorn in the Villa side all game, turned his man and slammed a shot across Matty Wilson clipping the post and into the corner.

The visitors almost made it two but a Craven effort hit the outside of the post and to safety.

Longridge came out all guns blazing in the second half and some lacklustre finishing and smart saves from Wilson kept the score at 1-0.

Marc Longworth and Horner were sent on and it was instant impact for the latter as he was sent through firing an unstoppable shot into the corner to draw the sides level.

Longridge weathered the Villa storm and it was they who went on to win the game.

A defensive mix-up in the dying seconds saw Coar clattered in the area leaving the referee no other option but to point to the spot.

Coar picked himself up smashing the ball past Wilson to give the visitors a deserved three points.

n Charnock Richard quickly recovered from last week’s cup exit by seeing off Burnley United 3-0.

Mike Fletcher opened the scoring for the home side inside two minutes as he latched on to a cleared corner firing the ball home into the roof of the net.

Charnock were then awarded a penalty after Craig Banks saw his shot handled,. with the assistant referee waving frantically to award the spot kick.

Carl Grimshaw stepped up and smashed the ball home to double the Charnock lead.

Mark Woods and Danny Nolan both had efforts but Charnock went in two to the good at half time.

The second half saw Burnley dictate with a strong wind behind them but Gavin Bates was only required to make the one save throughout the half.

Liam Hayton ended all Burnley hopes of a comeback in the 87th minute as he rose above everybody to meet a corner and head home and seal the win.

n Coppull suffered in the poor conditions when drawing 2-2 against Norcross.

Scott Hendy opened the scoring in the fifth minute and goal machine Greg Brickell doubled the away side’s lead.

But as Coppull battled the torrid conditions, Norcross hit them with two late goals.

Carl Eastwood bagged both grabbing Norcross a point.

Coppull manager Dave Haughton said: “Those are the worst conditions I have ever seen on the coast.”