Double by Josh keeps Trophy run on track

editorial image

Chorley booked their place in the first round proper of the FA Trophy with a smash and grab win over Matlock Town.

Two late strikes from prolific striker Josh Hine sealed a 2-0 Victory Park and an added bonus of £4,000 in prize money.

The victory over the Gladiators is the third of the season as just 14 days ago Chorley ran out 3-1 winners in the league and earlier in the season came away from Causeway Lane with a 2-1 victory.

Kick off was delayed until 3.15pm at Victory Park as an elderly spectator required hospital treatment after being struck by a shot in the pre-match warm up.

Fortunately news filtered through after the game that the spectator will make a full recovery and cannot wait for the next home fixture.

The visitors started the better of the two sides lining up in a 4-5-1 formation dominating the midfield and not allowing Chorley to play the free flowing football they have been doing throughout the season.

But despite the away sides early pressure it was Chorley who had the first real chance of the first half.

Adam Mather whipped in a free kick which was headed out.

The ball landed at the feet of Dale Whitham but the midfielder dragged his shot


At the other end Matlock continued to apply pressure and Danny Holland had a shot deflected wide by Keil O’Brien.

Hine then had an effort straight at Kennedy but it was Matlock who continued to looked the better side.

James Ashmore almost capitalised on a poor header from Jake Cottrell but Mather was on hand to tidy up.

After weathering the storm Dean smashed the ball into the side netting after latching onto a clever Adam Roscoe flick on.

Sam Ashton was spared his blushes as Martin Foster only managed an effort over the cross bar after the goalkeepers poor clearance.

As half-time was drawing closer, Roscoe then sent a dipping 25-yard shot goal bound but it rattled off the cross bar with some of the ground thinking he had beaten Kennedy.

After the interval it was more of the same as Matlock continued to cause Chorley problems.

Sub Brad Grayson bombarded his way into the area but O’Brien was on hand to clear.

Kennedy then saved low to his right from a Dean snap-shot after a pacy delivery from Mather.

Ashton then made his first save of the match as Needham shot low into the right hand corner but the Chorley keeper saved well pushing the ball away from danger.

With the clock running down and Matlock looking good value for the draw.

Garry Flitcroft changed his system introducing Simon Wiles and Paul Jarvis at the expense of Darren Stephenson and Roscoe.

And the change to 4-4-2 had an instant impact as Jarvis fired an effort over the bar.

As Chorley continued to attack Matlock had their best chance of the game as Danny Holland was clean through on goal but he shot straight at Ashton.

Whitham then saw a chance sail over the bar after a superb ball from Mather then in the 84th minute came the breakthrough.

Wiles broke down the right sending a cross to the back post.

Jarvis headed back across goal and Hine was on hand to lash the ball into the back of the net and send the crowd wild.

The Gladiators pushed men forward and had a strong claim of handball in the area against Andy Teague but referee Jane Simms waved away the claims.

Town defender Corey Gregory then headed straight at Ashton before the points were sealed with two minutes to go.

This time it was a Whitham cross and Hine was on hand to expertly finish with his head leaving Kennedy no chance to seal Chorley’s place in the first round of the FA Trophy.

Chorley: Ashton, Ross, Teague , O’Brien, Mather, Cottrell, Whitham, Hine, Roscoe (Jarvis, 65), Stephenson (Wiles, 79), Dean.

Subs not used: Grundy (gk), Meaney, Jansen