Evergreen Andy still knocking home the goals

Andy Roberts salutes his goal
Andy Roberts salutes his goal
Share this article

A double from stalwart Andy Roberts saw Charnock Richard run out easy 5-2 winners at Hesketh Bank.

Roberts’ two strikes came in nine minutes and his first cancelled out David Hogg’s opener for the hosts.

The Premier Division table-toppers were rampant in the second half with Dave Fisher, Carl Grimshaw and David Prout all finding the net.

Yves Zama pulled one back from the spot for Hesketh Bank in stoppage time, but Charnock’s clinical edge proved vital throughout the 90 minutes.

The Victory sees Charnock now boast a four-point lead over second-placed Blackpool Wren Rovers.

The Villagers took the game to Hesketh and Roberts saw an early shot hit the post.

Hesketh responded with forwards Zama and Ayrbongwe Mabhen both causing problems.

Attacking full-back Damian Dashti saw his well struck shot saved by keeper Ruain McDade before, against the run of play, it was Hesketh who took the lead when an attack down the left provided a cross and Hogg shot home.

The goal rockeed Charnock and Andy Westwell’s side at first struggled to replicate their usual passing game on a boggy pitch.

Dave Burrows saw one effort go well wide of goal before Craig Banks produced a fine sliding challenge to deny Zama.

But shortly after the half-hour mark, Charnock found an equaliser.

Alex Randall broke at pace down the right, his deep cross was headed back across goal by Grimshaw and waiting was Roberts, who thundered the ball home.

Then shortly before the interval, Charnock took the lead.

Dashti’s deflected cross found its way to Roberts and he was on hand to turn the ball in from close range.

Charnock made a sloppy start to the second half with goalkeeper Gavin Bates had to make a smothering save before Mabhena saw a tame effort at an open goal cleared.

The visitors then had a major let-off as the ball appeared to strike the arm of a defender on the line but the incident went unseen by the match


On the hour mark, Charnock gained some breathing space.

Hesketh failed to clear a corner and Fisher neatly

back-heeled into the corner.

Fisher immediately had the ball in the net again but it was chalked off for offside.

Eight minutes before the final whistle, Grimshaw poked home from close range after Roberts and Fisher both had shots blocked.

Prout came on immediately after the goal to replace Fisher and two minutes later he found space on the right to lash a strike past McDade.

But the home side hadn’t finished as sub Josh Norgate mistimed a challenge, and Zuma stepped up to reduce the arrears despite the best efforts of Bates after he got a strong hand to the spot kick.

This Saturday, Charnock travel to Slyne with Hest

(kick off 2pm).